hermit crab identity?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by SAMBASAM
whats the differance between jade,blue,and scarlet hermit crabs(other than color)
i think some are less aggressive an others. my personal preference is jade, blue legs fight too much. i only have one scarlet though so IDK about them, except i think they eat the most algae...?

donald

My blue legs never fight, every now and again I think they might be but if I just wait and watch, they turn out to be eating algae off their shells. I like blue legs they age very active and always eating algae. I have two scarlets but they don't eat very much durring the day they just kind of hang out in one spot untill night. Also blue legs don't get as big as scarlets. I don't have any clue about jades but I have always been curious about their manners.

keri

Just to add another to the mix: I have 6 zebras and they never fight or bug anyone else.

jacrmill

someone said that blue legs dont get as big has scarletts which is opposite of my experience. but my scarlette hermits seem to eat anything and they are totally peaceful. they are usually a little more expensive, but a good way to go.

alix2.0

do jades clean up well. or are scarlets better?
honestly, yeah, but if i didnt already have them, i wouldnt get them. IMO hermits are more trouble then theyre worth. and even the ones that dont cause all that much trouble, dont do such a mad job cleaning. if you are going to get some, id recommend the jades, but you might want to consider nassarius or cerith snails instead.

alix2.0

can i get snails if i get hermits?
yeah, everyone says you cant, but as long as you have plenty of extra empty shells and the crabs arent starving, your snails should be fine. ive never noticed a problem with my tank, and it is totally overstocked for hermits. (20ish in a 29 gallon.)

ya, I think that you should just give up the whole hermit crab idea and get some peppermint shrimp instead, they are the best cleaners you will ever find.

jacrmill

what kind of hermits are you guys buying? seriously, Ive had tons of hermits through the years and never had a problem. i almost always just buy scarlette hermits since they stay small and are peaceful. They are awesome to watch and they eat hair algae and left over food. they are a great addition to any tank. oh yeah, ive had tons of snails in there too, never had a problem. scarlettes are peaceful, just give them shells they can change into and you will never have a problem with them and your snails. im against everyone else here apparently, but I say get some hermits, they are great to watch and and awesome as a member of your clean up crew.