hermit crab not happy? large hermits?

hwttdz1

Just added a clean up crew. One of the hermit crabs seems to constantly switch shells looking for a larger shell. Is this a big deal? I don't think there are any larger shells for it. I guess I can come up with a larger shell soon.
Also are there any types of hermit crabs that are slightly larger than the blue-leg? I'm looking for something a little bigger but still similar behavior wise, safe, algavore.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by hwttdz1
Just added a clean up crew. One of the hermit crabs seems to constantly switch shells looking for a larger shell. Is this a big deal? I don't think there are any larger shells for it. I guess I can come up with a larger shell soon.
Also are there any types of hermit crabs that are slightly larger than the blue-leg? I'm looking for something a little bigger but still similar behavior wise, safe, algavore.
Don't get too many hermits unless you are supplying them with a wide variety of larger shells. I have lost a quite a few snails to the hermits. Buy detrivores that are not as mean.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by hwttdz1
There are red legs and zebras. The zebras can be pretty aggressive, though.

d0 thy d3w

i had a huge zebra a while back..the lfs wanted 8 bucks for it..but i got it for free...cuz the cashier made a misake and didnt charge me for it...i had it for about a month or two before it decided it needed a bigger shell..he just crawled out of his own one night..but i didnt have any bigger shells and my snails were too small so he couldnt hijack a snail shell..he just crawled around

[hr]
for a while...and i went to bed thinking hes return to his shell...it wasnt until like a week later that i found him, half eaten,and dead under sum rock..poor guy..R.I.P

hwttdz1

Sorry to bring back a sitting thread, but I must have missed the last two replies. Does this zebra refer to the hawaiian zebra, Calcinus laevimanus? I can't even make a reasonable guess which hermit the red leg is. Perhaps I should just go to the lfs and ask if they have any large reef safe hermit crabs.

mikmcgyver

The crabs I have are bullies... The blue legs always beat the snot out of my snails and eat em. Take their shells and look for another snail to pick on. I swear they stalk the snails when they are on the glass. My red leg hermit doesnt bother anyone and the emerald crab pretty much keeps to himself.

marka1620

I have a hermit that I got for .99 cents at the LFS. He was about the size of a half dollar. Now he's about the size of a tennis ball. He's a little terror. Leaves the snails and smaller hermits alone because he's tried unsuccessfully...so I guess he gave up.
He's eaten half my Xenias and Pink Tipped Hatian.

nietzsche

thats scary. i have a blue leg (i think) that killed a smaller hermit. i havent seen the smaller hermits shell anywhere.
i just bought 3 small hermits, 1 red, 1 blue, and 1 random one. so i hope they dont touch anything. im going to have to get some empty shells from the lfs