Hermit Crabs and Snails

dmitry

It could happen, but if you have empty shells for the hermits it shouldn't. But nature is nature and one can not predict it for sure! :)

snipe

I have plenty of shells "a hundred or so" for my hermits and I see some sporting there new snail shells anyway lol. I have like 50 small nassarius so by they wont bother them for mutch longer. But my point is even with a hundred shells I still have snail deaths from my hermits.

jedi

As Snipe stated, I too have alot of extra shells floating around, but I see my hermits sporting their new snail shell on occasion. Oh well, survival of the fitest..

Jedi

monalisa

Question here. My tank is at the end of it's cycle. I just went in the ordered my clean up crew, 12 blue leg crabs, and 6 snails (what kind?...not sure). Will I need to keep empty shells in my tank for my crabs? I would like to know to do this, and be on the safe side...
thank you!!
Lisa

fishmamma

Hi Monalisa- My LFS told me to go to the craft store and purchase shells there. Just make sure they are not treated with a clear coating or anything. I got a bag for under one dollar. Then go home and boil them for 15 minutes, let them cool and drop em in.

snipe

I went to that auction site and bought over 200 shells for $15 anywere from the size of a raison to the size of a silver dollar.

mudplayerx

Like everyone said, the likelihood of a hermit crab killing a snail for its shell is slim if you have extra shells in the tank. You have to realize that there is a lot of time and energy invested for a hermit crab to do something like that.
The largest hermit crab in my tank is about the size of a quarter, and I think my mexican turbo snails would probably start laughing if one of the hermit crabs came at one of them.