Hermitcrab babies

leviwin

I was wondering if anybody else has had much luck with breeding hermit crabs. I have two blue legged, two scarlet, and five red legged. I just have them to clean the tank, but found out tonight that the red legged are breeding. I was watching with a flashlight in the dark and noticed a crab standing on top of a rock doing a little dance. Looked kind of funny so I took a closer look and saw it pushing little baby crabs out of it shell. Don't think they will survive thought just some more food for the fish and the rest of the tank.:)

nm reef

If the hermits in my system were to have young uns they'd become part of the food chain real quick! :cool:

leviwin

they turned out to be lunch just like the baby shrimp do. I read up on raising shrimp and figure that raising hermit crabs would be the same. Sounds like to much work for me right now with school and work, but it would be fun to try some day. Has any body ever had much luck raise shrimp or crabs and if so what are some secrets that will help me?

nm reef

As often as folks report snalis/crabs/shrimp breeding in their systems I'd figure somebody has figured out how to raise them. But as far as I'm concerned the young 'uns become part of the food chain. Right along with all the other micro infauna I attempt to encourage. Makes for more of a natural environment.
Most of what I've heard about raising the little additions makes me think the entire process is hardly worth the effort.:cool:
NMREEF
“...all we are saying...is give Peace a chance!”
nmreef@cox.net