hermits

nemo1234

so, i just looked in my tank, and either saw my hermits fighting, or mating? how can you tell.... one is even out of its shell right now....

nemo1234

so, I think i might have found the answer to my own question now.... the one may be looking for a new shell... the guy at the LFS said it would be a long time till they look for one, but I guess not... I think that's what they are doing.... I hope it will be okay from now until the time I get a new shell, otherwise, I'll be down a hermit crab by tomorrow afternoon!

nemo1234

and my own reply again.... nevermind all that... the other one is now dead, and the one is eating him..... oh yuck! how morbid is that?

b-baby80

My guess one ran the other out of it's shell.When i had my larger ones.One of them did that to the other.It didn't even want it's shell.It almost seemed like it was doing it just because.I bought another shell(their were plenty of others)
and it stopped and all was fine.The one that got ran out.Just went and got in this huge just for looks shell i have in my tank.It was so funny.It's like he was

[hr]
and hiding LOL!

nick76

Originally Posted by nemo1234
so, i just looked in my tank, and either saw my hermits fighting, or mating? how can you tell.... one is even out of its shell right now....
Hermits fight all the time, domanance issues I guess. Ive seen piles of 4 at a time going at it, but nobody gets hurt ever they just run off once defeated lol.
They only time I ever had a problem is when 3 of my bluelegs were fighting and threw the 3rd out of his shell and well when my Cleaner shrimp spotted it, it became a free meal unprotected by a shell.
Id get a few extra shells and throw them in. Just make sure their close in size the the hermits themselves.