hermits

bubbagump

how much if any ammonia are given off from hermit crabs?i was wondering cause i am curently cycling my tank a 30 gallon long and 1 damsel and 2 really small hermit crabs. i also have 13 lbs of live rock and a 3 inch sand bend. i was wondering if my tank is going to crash? my friend told me that it might.

wrassecal

I cycled my tank with one damsel (I'll never do that again) and by accident 2 live rock hitchikers - 1 peppermint shrimp which disappeared 3 months later, and 1 good sized scarlet hermit. They all survived the cycle. Just my experience.

Hermit crabs do not add to the bio load. They are great at cleaning up the detritous and any left over food from feeding your fish. Your tank will only benefit from having them. They are more sensitive to ammonia though, if your tank is not finished cycling the hermit may not survive. Tell your friend about this board, sounds like he has gotten some bad advice along the way. Good luck.

bluemarlin

"Hermits do not add to the biolode"? Everything expels waste. I think what you may be trying to say is that the hermits consume more then what they expel. Is that it?

BlueMarlin, That is probably the best way to put it, still the bioload is reversed in this situation - practically the same thing that Heavenly Damsel was saying.
Bubbagump, Your tank should do fine.
I cycled my 55 with two yellow tail damsels, two domino damsels (I go rid of the domino's), 100lbs of live rock, a coral banded shrimp, and a bunch of turbo snails, and blue legged hermits. Everything survived.