herrmit crab

newbesalt

I have a large herrmit crab and he molted last nite...should I take out the old molted body or will he eat it.

b-baby80

The research i done says Hermits don't eat theirs.They absorb what they need out of the old exoskeleton before they shed it.I always pull it out.The first time mine molted i thought a crab had died

r3dc4t

From what I have learned about hermit crabs when i had them as a kid, they ate the exoskeleton. I assume it doesn't matter that the ones i had were not water hermit crabs.

donald

Not all of it will go away, the stuff like the ends of the legs will remain and they can start to pile up after awhile. They can also get stuck in your filter intake if you have a power filter

b-baby80

Originally Posted by r3dc4t
From what I have learned about hermit crabs when i had them as a kid, they ate the exoskeleton. I assume it doesn't matter that the ones i had were not water hermit crabs.
Usually land ones do cause the need the calcium but i read some were.Can't remember were now that marine crabs absorb what they need before exiting and they absorb from the water.
Mine did not eat theirs and i removed them.I was afraid it could cause problems.