Hexagon or Bow front tank

bwets_angel

My husband and I are in search of a hexagon or bow front tank for our office but have no clue where to find one. There aren't really any good places close to buy tanks. My parents go us a 55gal for x-mas and my dad made the stand and hood for it and they said that just the tank cost over $100. I read another post on here that said tanks should cost around $1 per gal. Where can I find tanks for that price? And which kind of tank is recommended a hexagon or bow front, what size, and how much should it run us? We are placing it between 2 doors in a space about 3 feet wide. Personally I think the bow front would look better there anyone have any opinions?

c_bell

The $1 per gallon usually only applies to normal rectangular shaped tanks. I have a 46 gal bow-front and I love it, It should fit fine in the 3 ft. space you described. IMO the bow front would be better because it provides more surface area for bacteria it will also be easier to aquascape w/ LR. and provide more room for your fish to swim. HTH :p

bwets_angel

If you don't mind me asking how much did your 46gal bow front cost you? All I need to know is just for the tank as my dad will build the stand for me.

c_bell

oh its been about a year or so since i bought it. I have noticed the price has gone down alot. hmm I can't remember off the top of my head what we paid for it. Have you tried your local *****, they usally have pretty good deals on tanks.

bwets_angel

Originally posted by c_bell
Have you tried your local *****, they usally have pretty good deals on tanks.

I think the closest one is a 2 hour drive from here. The closest pet store we have is Petland which is about 45 minutes away. Then there is a petsmart about an hour away along with some Jack's Aquarium. I haven't been to the Petsmart but I know at Jack's Aquarium the fish and animals and stuff like that were pretty cheap but I didn't look at the tanks. I do know that Petland is where my parents got my 55gal and for just the tank it was over $100.

bwets_angel

It is a 25 Gallon Flat-Back System. Included with it are Aquarium with access cover, Integrated wet/dry filter; grating, driptray, sponge, bioballs and pump with bulkhead, and Canopy with fixed pivot hinge. Also how much would this tank normally cost?

madd catt

Its probable that petland could special order a bow tank for you from all glass aquarium or oceanic company which deals in larger custom orders.

rane

Bwets,
I have a 155gl bowfront, the only regret is that when you look at it, it looks like a magnifying glass most of the time you have to look at it straight ahead, second thing is it doesn’t have built in overflows the tank is not drilled, so with that in mind I would suggest you get it if possible with built in overflows, my .02 cents

bwets_angel

The magnifying glass affect is the main reason I think I'm going to go with the hexagon. Yeah they look alot nicer then the hexagons but I don't like looking into something that looks like a magnifying glass.