Hey Broomer!!

njtrooper

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
I have been thinking about your setup, I like it very much.... One thing I can't figure out is the two pump system. I saw the diagram and it all makes sense I just can't put it all together. Here goes:
1) What type of schedule are the pumps on?
2) What does having two pumps do to the water levels (tank/sump)?
3) If you are only running the small pump 24/7 how do you keep the sump from overflowing?
4) Can I use an Amiracle wet/dry as sump in this setup?
I'm sure i would be able to understand this better if I saw it, but I hope you can expain it to me.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

njtrooper

How much water actually comes from the flex-hoses?
Can this spray bar be used as a 24/7 return?
Sorry for all the questions but your system is pretty squared away!

broomer5

Happy Holidays to you too !
I'll try to aswer your Q's
1) What type of schedule are the pumps on?
Mag 7 is on all the time 24/7
Mag9.5 is now on a 3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on ~~> throughout the 24 hour day.
2) What does having two pumps do to the water levels (tank/sump)?
Having two pumps means having two different "normal" operating levels in the sump. The tank level does not change much ( it does but it's almost unnoticable )
The sump will run half full when both pumps are on, and runs about 3/4 full when only the smaller pump is on.
3) If you are only running the small pump 24/7 how do you keep the sump from overflowing?
The large spraybar has one of the elbows pointing down
and I installed an elbow. The elbow has a pinched pvc flare fitting in it now. This pinched fitting is "just" at the water surface ~ so when the larger pump turns off - the spraybar immediately breaks siphon. I've also drilled a 1/4" hole just below the normal break siphon level - for a redundant back-up.
4) Can I use an Amiracle wet/dry as sump in this setup?
If you can fit both pumps in it - and it will hold the water - I see no reason why you couldn't use it. You'll have to determine the "normal" operating levels for your own sump though.
Only you can "see" this so only you can determine what they are.
Your last Q is a good one too.
In your pic - the fitting the arrow is pointing to is the place I installed the elbow and pinched fitting. Water does shoot out of this, just at the surface - and agitates the water nicely.
The other fitting I capped off.
Pretty good idea - just a bad design and needs to be replaced someday ( been saying that for months now ;) )
Water does indeed shoot out all the flexible nozzles. I don't use powerheads in the tank for this reason.
Thanks NJTROOPER !