Hey Clayton

kmr

I know this isn't a whaling BB, but since everyone here loves the sea and it creatures I'll ask you anyway. Have you heard anything yet about the IWC meeting yesterday. I know the U.K. is putting up a defense for the greys. Just thought you might hear something not U.S. biased.
Thanks
Kirk

reptilicus

Hi, If you mean the IWC meeting here in Australia, yes I have heard about it. Unfortunately, there is no whale sanctuary in the South Pacific. Once again, the $$$ has won through and the slaughter of these magnificent animals will continue. There is another IWC meeting upcoming and I, Australia, and many other people and nations will still be fighting at the next meeting. There is a lot of protest here in Australia at the moment, there are even anti-whaling ads on commercial television, and Peter Garrett, lead singer of that great band Midnight Oil, and also a member of parliament with the Green Party, is one of the leading figures in the anti-whaling fight.
Hope this helps,
Tom

kmr

Thanks for the info. I thought the south pacific sanctuary would fly. Japan and Norway did spend some big $ to stop it. I was really hoping for some sort of disiplinary action towards the U.S.
The protests here lost alot of steam this year. It's really cool your (Australia) gov. is more sensitive to this issue. Al Gore wants to consider reopening commercial whaling. What a environmentalist!!

reptilicus

Hi,
that sucks about that opening whaling thing, the last thing we need is more whaling countries! Our government hasn't done very much, it's the Environmental parties such as the Green Party who have been putting the money behind it, and there is some other sort of anti-whaling comitte funding the TV ads.
Tom

clayton

Sorry I missed the post - I was on holiday in the Caribbean - great diving - so I missed all the news. Have to say I missed most of the goings on though! What was the outcome, if any?