Hey I'm Back...What a Trip

squidd

Back on-line that is...
Been having a little "computer" issues..A couple (6-8 ) weeks ago I had lightning strike a tree outside my house...(computer is on a "surge protector, but the phone line was not) so the modem blew, but the machine seemed to be OK...
So I take it to the local comp shop for repair and a hundred or so dolars later walk out back on-line...
And it worked fine for a couple more weeks..then the screen goes blank... :notsure:
Back to the shop and they tell me it's "delayed" strike syndrome, the motherboard's bad, probably the processor as well and who knows what other problems I'll have once they get it running enough to diagnose...
$400-$500 now and maybe $600-$700 by the time their done...They would really like to just sell me a new system for a Grand cause this one's already 5 years old...
That kinda sucks...
They've been good to me in the past though..but with all the software/adware/spyware/and occasional hardware issues I've had (at $100 or so a pop) My 5 year old $500 computer has costed me over $1200 already...
So I figure, what the heck..it's just "hardware" right..a bunch of wires and boards...a little "plug and play" and I should be able to fix this myself...(Mind you I have NO idea how these things work...I usually have my teenage kids load the programs or hook up the printer )

But being the DIY kinda guy I am I figure it's time to take a "crash course" in computer repair and figure this out myself...
So I go over to a computer savey buddies house and he hooks me up with an on-line retailer so I can order the parts I might need...
But Hey... as long as we're replacing..might be a good time to "up-grade" as well...So new Motherboard..bigger and better processer..need a bigger powersuply to run it...of course extra fans to cool it...etc..etc...etc..

Wait a week or so for shipping..stuff comes in... plug it in..turn it on...
NOTHING..

Seems the hard drive and OS took a hit too...probably the RAM card and no telling if the video card will work...What the heck...Might as wel get a new keyboard and mouse too...
Oh yeah...I've been running a "hot" OS and don't "exactly" own the disk so I should probably get one of those too...

So ..wait another week or so ..stuff comes in...almost...
### Harddrive is "backordered"...

So wait another week or so...stuff comes in...plug it in... fire it up, and I'll be jiggered...the thing works..sort of...
Now I need to "load" the software...shouldn't be a problem...slide in the disk and hit "enter"...
Oh Oh..problem... This thing keeps asking me "questions" to which I know not the answer...
Do I want to "partition" my hardrive ?? I don't know...Do I?? :notsure: ..How much..?? and "Why"..??
br />
So a couple calls to "tech support"..(my buddy down the street) and he walks me through it...Pretty |basic" and logical once you understand the "definitions" of what they're asking...
Then we come to hooking up the internet...Now I'm asking questions to which "He" doesn't know the answer..
Like "What's my login name and password..?" "What's my POP and SMTP...?"
I don't know... ..that stuff has always been entered for me...I just push the little "internet" Icon and it comes on...Kinda like "magic"..
A quick call to my provider and I get the info I need...(Hey..They ARE there at 10:pm at night.. )

So...here I am..up and running...back on line...Twice the speed and 10X capacity (if not more) than my old machine..and I did it myself at a total cost of $370...Would have been $240 if I had "owned" my OS disk...
But hey...I do now..
Now I'm into it...Thinking maybe "build" another machine...do some "networking"...Get a T-1 line and maybe go wireless...no...satalite...Yeah..that's it...and a web page....OOh..Ahh.. Lookout... :jumping:
(I have no idea what all that means, but it sounds cool... )

sw65galma

Ya computers is a job of lingo...people use it to sound like they know what they are talking about.
like "My SAN that is attached to the NAS over IP, isn't connecting on the Gig-E line, so I'm gonna check my SWITCH and make sure th ISL is working over the FIBER"
or in PC terms...it looked looked like Your PSU was ok, but the PCI Bus took a hit throught the Modem, which fried your RAM and CPU on your MOBO, Your HD and OS shouldn't have been bothered, but it may just be a corrupted MFT on your NTFS.
--Network Engineer

squidd

Originally Posted by sw65galma
or in PC terms...it looked looked like Your PSU was ok, but the PCI Bus took a hit throught the Modem, which fried your RAM and CPU on your MOBO, Your HD and OS shouldn't have been bothered, but it may just be a corrupted MFT on your NTFS.
Wow...the really weird part is, I think I understood most of that...
Does that mean I'm turning into a "geek" ??? :scared:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have had 3 personnel pc [excluding work pcs] and the best deal has been the one that a friend of mine built to order for me [brandname components]. I had a fan problem [pre-backup] when the pc was new, antec replaced it free. Last year my NVida fan went bad, Nvida replaced it for free. I have had no problem, bought the best components [at that time], plays any game I've wanted to play, no problems, never any werid freeze up. Its 3-1/2 yrs old now and still going strong! If I can, I'll always have 'em build to order, which won't be for awhile if this one keeps performing. If you can afford it, I say have it build for you by someone you trust to use brand-name components and licensed individual software [that you can get OEM when you are buying hardware to build]. Its saves $$ in the long run. My pc ended up being the same as the $1200 pc you have put in already....

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Squidd
Wow...the really weird part is, I think I understood most of that...
Does that mean I'm turning into a "geek" ??? :scared:

You are not a geek until you know what this phrase is from..
"all your base are belong to us"
Once you find this funny...you are offically a geek.

squidd

I've seen that somewhere before (probably my comp. shop office)... But I have No idea what it means....
So I guess that means I'm safe...

symon

It's always worth it to learn enough to swp your parts around, I have built many of my own pc's in the same manner! 1 took a crap it was gonna cost my 3-400 bucks to get it fixed, I said heck with that and went and bought the parts, after a few (bouts with turrets) i managed to get it working! I can now build and boot in just a couple of hours! LOL took lots of trial and error!
It pays to be a DIY kinda Guy!

S

sinner's girl

wireless is cool, I have wireless mouse and keyboard and internet. When something doesn't work, I just Sinner to fix it. I let him handle all that. It's easier.

judyk

I don't know much about computors but am quite experienced with lightning. I've had my houses hit three times and two vehicles. Nothing ever works the same afterword. They fix one thing, then something else goes wrong. What a pain.

cirrusdawg

Originally Posted by sw65galma
You are not a geek until you know what this phrase is from..
"all your base are belong to us"
Once you find this funny...you are offically a geek.

I know where that is from. there is a song by the lasiest men on mars. I actually have the mp3. i guess i'm a geek!

ezee

Squidd,
I'll tell you, in my experience being a DIY Reefer and a DIY Comp Geek, being a DIY Reefer has been a LOT more challenging.
"All your base are belong to us" is a reference to a very old game made by japanese manufacturers that did not translate english very effectively. The language in the game was so off it was funny! They made a "music video" poking fun at the game and it swept the geek nation like a phenom.
Warning: If you read the above you have now been indoctrinated in the ranks of Geekdom. Resistance is futile.
E
Technology Coach and Card Carrying Geek

sw65galma

Originally Posted by cirrusdawg
I know where that is from. there is a song by the lasiest men on mars. I actually have the mp3. i guess i'm a geek!

Nope Ezee is correct...
But if you read his post then you are now doomed to be a geek.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by ezee
Squidd,
I'll tell you, in my experience being a DIY Reefer and a DIY Comp Geek, being a DIY Reefer has been a LOT more challenging.
"All your base are belong to us" is a reference to a very old game made by japanese manufacturers that did not translate english very effectively. The language in the game was so off it was funny! They made a "music video" poking fun at the game and it swept the geek nation like a phenom.
Warning: If you read the above you have now been indoctrinated in the ranks of Geekdom. Resistance is futile.
E
Technology Coach and Card Carrying Geek
Now if you know the name of the game in both english and japanese then you are a SUPER geek!
sw65galma - Super Geek

squidd

Dang, There must still be something wrong with my computer...
I was compleatly "unable" to read that last message from ezee...
Darn...

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Squidd
Darn...

If you fix someone elses computer an they ask what's wrong..
tell them it's an
I
D
T
Error, if they ask what that is...tell them write it down..and look it up lol
"ID10T"

ezee

Darn...
Warning: Denial is futile too.

ezee

Now if you know the name of the game in both english and japanese then you are a SUPER geek!
sw65galma - Super Geek
Cause he's a super geek, super geek.

Get it? Oh forget it. LOL