Hey Ren!

big dave

I was looking at your pics of your tank and saw your "mystery" hitchiker. I have a possible answer. First, two questions: Do you have any seacucumbers in your tank and, does it look like a clear fish or something else? I may have the answer if it looks like a fish! BTW, sweet tank!

ren

Hehe looks like an eel. Think we all kinda agreed on an american glass eel.
I've got 3 cukes - yellow w/ white specks, brown, and brown w/ white specks. I hadn't added anything for several months when the alien appeared. Looks just like an eel with a transparent body. What ya think it is?

big dave

Well, hate to tell you your wrong but, its really a pearlfish or something like that. These little buggers have probably one of the grossest lifestyles of all animals. They live inside the body orifices of seacucumbers! Many seacucumbers are imported with these tiny fish inside them without anyone ever knowing. They rarely venture outside the host but when they do, its a real surprise! Good job finding a real aquarium rarity! I read an articlea while back about these unique fish ad they had several x-rays of cukes with several living inside of them! Well, I hope I helped out! Try searching for more information about them! I'll try to find this article and the scientific name for you!

big dave

I just searched on google for it under"pearlfish" there are a few sites with info but there is also a kind of killiefish called a pearlfish. Yeah, theyre kinda gross in habit but, are really neat. Good luck!

ren

Very nice catch - or should I say gross? lol. Anyways I think your right. I couldn't find any actual pics of one but the drawings do look like it. And the cukes were added about the same time as the last LR. Makes more sense too. Thank-you - not sure how many are following this so I'm gonna start a new thread on it Ya deserve some credit here!