Hey smokers...

mongoose

Do you think that it affects your tanks when you smoke near or by them? I think it makes perfect sense that your putting toxic chemicals into your tank through the oxygen transfer that takes place.

Just some food for thought

shoreliner11

I agree. Gas exchange is taking place at the surface...if there's smoke in the air those chemicals would get into the water. Just another reason not to smoke imo. A person whose tanks I clean every week smokes quite a bit and let me tell you...the tank closest to his smoking *nest* can't grow a healthy looking coral to save its life. The anemone is bleached out...even though proper lighting and parameters. Not saying this is the reason why the tank can't grow corals well, I definately think its a contributing factor though. The gorgonian is doing really well though...maybe its just not as affected. hmmmm....

mongoose

Cartman101....I have absoutely no idea what your talking about....
(nevermind I think I see what happend deleted posts. :joy: )

S

spsaddict

there was a post that was uncalled for, so that was how he responded lol

kellyd

That depends on what your smoking. Some kind my fish dont like, other kind it seems to mellow them out.:happyfish

rwhite

No problems here...at least no more problems than anyone else may have. We have plenty of healthy coral and fish specimens. I would imagine there is some gas exchange, but I havent noticed any ill effects that would point to smoking as the cause. Maybe someone should make a test kit for tar/nicotine content. I'm actually interested to see if anyone has more info/experience with smoking and the home aquarium.

salty cheese

Originally posted by kellyd
That depends on what your smoking.

No doubt, last time I smoked some crack my Royal Gramma kept banging his head on the glass and my Maroon Clown sat on top of one of my shrooms muttering jibberish all night. It was a sad sight indeed.:D

I am so sick of the anti-smoking Nazis:mad: . Now it seems that not only should I have my kids taken away if I smoke within their sight, but I can't, in good conscience, keep fish either.
Give me a break.
Mind you own damn business..."just some food of thought".

russianspy

Calm down, Smoking is bad for you and sadly as much as i hate smoking im with ranger...What are ppl to say about there life styles, But smoking infront of your kids man...At least try not to as often as possible, You don't want them to start
:confused:Do you?:confused:

mongoose

Ranger you have problems man....
HAHAHA your nuts man if you didn't want to read the post you shouldn't of opened it, its obvious you have problems inside you need to look at because I have no problems with smokers.
Now if you will excuse me I have to go do my weekly doses of Acetone (corals won't open up fully without it) :D

russianspy

Magic_Carp you wonder why there are people creating names to harras us, its people like you who say those things at set them off, maybe the mods should bann u?..Food for thought

russianspy

Hey i'm all for the "Law" i'm harrassed every day on AIM by my ex but if she has to keep doing it she has a sad life

mongoose

Rwhite - I'm with you its to bad my post had to get hi-jacked by a disgruntled smoker :rolleyes:
I would almost put money on the fact that it affects your tank some, think about the mesures people go through to make thier water perameters exactly right, and some don't even spray window cleaner in the same room as a tank for fear that the chemicals will somehow find thier way to the tank. I would think that something with so many toxins and is so widely spread in a room by the simple proven fact of 2nd hand smoke that it does get into your tank. Weather or not it will kill somthing right away I would say No....the possibility of it killing something over time or stunting the growth or corals is very high in my opinion. Or you may have trouble keeping a certin type of fish or coral that otherwise you would beable to keep.
And once again I'm not disrespecting the smokers even though they think I am. :nervous: