Hey Steveweast...here's his worm!!!!!!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I know this is a "hindsight" question, but if you saw the worm coming out at night, couldn't you just lay in waiting for him and nab him during one of his nocternal appearances? If you got his head, wouldn't that have killed him?

trompet3

Hey Steveweast, I was wondering if you could tell us how you built the structures that the rock lay on, and how you got the rocks to balance on them. Maybe post some pictures if you have them. I'm moving my tank soon and would like build something to utilize the space better.
Thanks!

steveweast

Beth: Yes, I probably could have beheaded him; however, there would be no guarantees that it wouldn't regenerate or split. The other disadvantage would be an enormous animal decomposing in the tank if it did die. On a side note: as I posted, When trying to get him out of the pvc tubing (which took over an hour, even with the whole thing on the garage floor...he tightly filled that tube) I accidently broke an 18 inch section of his tail off. That tail was still swimming around in the bucket 3 days later......so, I would say the only way to guarantee his total removal was to do what I did.
Trompet, The platforms were pretty simple. It was just utilizing 3/4 inch pvc pipe and fittings to construct a rectangular box that would elevate the rock structure above it about 4 inches off the bottom. A piece of eggcrate was fastened to the pvc box with plastic zip ties. The rocks have no trouble sitting on the eggcrate..it's very stable once you get all the rocks in.

sammystingray

Too bad you didn't weigh him......got a guess at the weight? Also, did you find anything interesting in the tear down? you know, stuff behind and under rocks that never gets seen and normally grows out of sight such as sponges and such?

steveweast

If I were to guess a weight, I say between 3 - 4 pounds. There were lots of yellow, white, and bluish sponges but, nothing remarkable beyond that. I was kind of in a hurry to return the rock to the tank as I do not employ a DSB; but, rather use the rock for biological filtration.

wrassecal

I saw those pics the other day on another page, whew gross worm:eek: I 'm sorry you had to tear your tank down, but it still looks great! Did you modify your equipment so if there are more they can't get in there and start this whole thing over again?

tigerlover

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
how did you euthinize a worm, what r u a vet, or did you take it to a vet and say, "Mr. vet, can I please have my 7ft. pet worm euthinized"(while you have him on a leash)?

steveweast

No, actually it went into the freezer. Fortunately, the cold did its job before "the better half " got home or Mr. worm would have had company.

steveweast

Trompet, Actually it is the end of one of the platforms (there are three total). The white part was covered with sand (clean of algae). The dark part was the top of the platform (with the eggcate removed). As you can see, the platform elevated the rocks only 4 inches off the bottom. This is to allow the closed loop jets to continually blow under the rock formation and prevent detritus from collecting. The platforms don't create the aquascaping (that's done with the rocks on top of rocks)....they only elevate the entire rock formation that 4 or so inches.

nate_j

i would be scarred to know i had something that big in my tank....seriously...that is a HUGE WORM!!!!! lol

B

bambalamb

That thing would have Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) screaming like a little girl!

melissa v.

that worm is scary.
i get kinda jumpy anyways when i take a light and shine it into my tank, if i saw that thing well i would have to do the same thing you did "change my pants"
Melissa V.