Hey there feeling confused by all the info

Carbacoustic

I have researched for about 3 weeks now and seem to read things that contradict each other,

I have a little experience in the past with Clear Water fish. .

I have a couple of questions and feel a bit silly asking lol This post may seem like a bit of a ramble so I apologise in advance.
(I am in the North of the UK by the way )

Here is some info form a total noobs perspective and some questions listed below.

TANK SIZE : Largest main tank will be 125L in the litre or something that measures no more than 3 and a half feet. I have seen nano tanks but they don't grab me I want the main tank to be a show piece as much as possible.
I know this will limit stock but should be able to get a handful of nice community fish in there. I read that the largest tank you can have will help the stability and parameters of water quality.

AMMONIA SPIKES
When we talk about Ammonia spikes in in the tank water does that mean that the room will be filled with a terrific smell like rotting eggs driving everybody out the house and causing my girlfriend to make me sleep on the couch :p ?
I don't want to be single LOL

BREEDING PROJECT : Interested in a noobie breeding project - any suggestions - on what fish to start. fascinated by genetics and maybe producing different colours on a fish or traits if possible,

BRINE SHRIMP : Fascinated by hatching brine shrimp eggs and feeding the live bring to fish

BRISTLE WORMS : These look totally horrid to me LOL and would like to avoid them there is a video on you tube with one 2 and a half foot long nearly put me off all together hehe :p

CORASL ; As much as I want fish to display I also want a nice Eco system with live corals growing have seen some beautiful smaller tanks on you tube videos and articles.

CURING LIVE ROCK : Wanted to know if this will get rid of any nasty things and if it should be done before placing in tank,

TAP WATER or RO Water for first time installing ? - If tape water treatments that wont be harmful to either a small child or two cats

CATS : Will fish be stress filled with cats watching them/

Some information has had my head spinning I have read watched videos asked my local fish shops advice. The size of tank is now none negotioable with my partner and I feel the biggest compromise I may have to make.

Kristin1234

So about a 30 gallon?

You won't be able to put a ton of fish in but like you said, a small hand full.

No the room will not smell of rotten eggs. Lol. Its not that severe what so ever. Just a small amonia spike is to be expected while cycling your tank but it should smell. Lol.

I recommend using RO water. I do use tap water but I'm on a private well and have excellent pure water.

I would just start with a small display tank and get it running to its full potential before starting to breed of any sort. And if your going to breed. You can only have a single pair of which ever fish you wish to breed. Other fish will eat the eggs. Breeding is a lot of work. Imo. I've never done it bc just reading about how to do it scares me. Lol.

Kristin1234

And yes, the larger the better. So go big or go home!!

Or just stick with your 30 gallon. :)

And welcome to the forum!

lmforbis

Ammonia spike: you won't smell it. That is the first stage in cycling your tank. There are several good articles written by Snakeblitz on many of these subjects
I don't know anything about breeding except for many species it is hard
Bristle worms are good scavengers
With the right lighting corals are possible
Definitely RO water.
I have 5 cats in my house and they don't seem to bother the fish.

Carbacoustic

Thanks for the info on your cat we have 2 :p

As much as the fish I love the whole concept of doing the arty stuff with rocks , plants corals as much as the fish, maybe that sounds odd haha.
I am really interested in genetics as a Science subject and feel confident I can produce brine shrimp enough for any baby fish or other foods..

Hmm well me other half keeps telling me size don't matter, I knew it was just to make me feel better haha

Was starting to get a bit jittery about everything it entails but then I guess we all learn and will make mistakes. and I hear these nano tanks would take more looking after than a 30g.

beaslbob

Try starting the tank with macro algaes right from the start. And protect the macros with some kind of refugium which can just be a simple tank partition to the macros have a small area where they are protected from the livestock.

my .02

jay0705

I have cats, dogs np lol. Bigger is easier but once established they even out. It just takes more constant monitoring w smaller tanks at first. Sw honestly isn't hard its just different then fw

Carbacoustic

I am prepared to put the time and effort in. Even starting a breeding project will be nothing to do with making some extra beer money achieve.
I am a stay at home care worker looking after my sick Mother, Have plenty of time to focus on the tank, Monitoring will not be a problem;

This will be my first tank I have decided = Juwel Vision 180 - Beech

However I still want to do a few more weeks research before even contemplating a purchase, Nothing done in haste is ever wise and it appears this is a golden rule of this hobby.

Carbacoustic

Hahahahaha ty reef lmao I feel like such a noobie asking some of these questions hahahaha but that's what I am and the only silly questions are ones not answered.

reefkeeperZ

never feel foolish asking.

Brine shrimp: the popcorn of the fish food world after the first 12 hours they are hatched. good until then.

Bristle worms: are your friend, if you have too many there is too much for them to eat they will never populate higher than the availability of scavenging. if you don't like the big ones pull em out after a certain size (use gloves or tongs)

I have 40 pets my fish don't seem to notice.

corals: are fun make sure you have the right lights for what you want to keep. research first never impulse buy anything for your tank,.

flower

Hi,

Jumping in with the cat issue. Cats like to jump up and lay on places up high. Be prepared, kitty's will no doubt try and jump up on the tank. Because it's open, they will be in for a dip and freak out. Usually one dip is enough to teach them the tank is open water, and to not do it again. I don't recommend a lid on a saltwater tank, it needs to be open. There is less oxygen in saltwater then fresh, the open tank helps with gas exchange.

Answering your questions:
BREEDING PROJECT : Interested in a noobie breeding project - any suggestions - on what fish to start. fascinated by genetics and maybe producing different colours on a fish or traits if possible,
A: People have done some interesting stuff with clownfish. Do plenty of research. It would force you to keep only one type of fish, and it sounds like you want a reef.

BRINE SHRIMP : Fascinated by hatching brine shrimp eggs and feeding the live bring to fish
A: Brine shrimp makes a nice treat, but most will recommend frozen.

BRISTLE WORMS : These look totally horrid to me LOL and would like to avoid them there is a video on you tube with one 2 and a half foot long nearly put me off all together hehe :p
A: The big whopper you saw is not a bristle worm it's a bobbit worm (Eunice) it's in the bristle worm family, but not the normal critters on live rock, the good bristle worms are two toned red/ peach and white. They are good for your tank, but not the bobbit worm.

CORASL ; As much as I want fish to display I also want a nice Eco system with live corals growing have seen some beautiful smaller tanks on you tube videos and articles.
A: Corals are great, but be sure of your lighting, there is a coral for every set up, but you have to get what your set up will maintain. So do your homework.

CURING LIVE ROCK : Wanted to know if this will get rid of any nasty things and if it should be done before placing in tank,
A: When rock is first purchased, it has been moved and out of the water. It's called "live" because tiny critters live in and on the rock, during transfer some of the little guys may die off... You have to allow the rock to remain in saltwater for a bit so the die off does not cause ammonia to rise in the tank. What you purchase from your local store will be okay as most is already cured, and the trip home won't do any real damage to the life on the rock.

TAP WATER or RO Water for first time installing ? - If tape water treatments that wont be harmful to either a small child or two cats
A: Tap water has more in it then your fish need, such as fluoride and bacteria inhibitors. So use reverse osmosis water, that way the only thing in your water is what you add via your salt mix.

CATS : Will fish be stress filled with cats watching them
A: The fish will grow accustomed to having the cats watch them. Some more shy fish will take a bit for that to happen. The same with your face looking close to the tank. They will learn your presence brings food, and get over it. As long as the cats don't go fishing, lots of people have cats and fish tanks in their homes.

john suh

Common clown fish are pretty popular and a pair will flourish in your 30 gallon. Kids also like Clown Fish as well as it reminds them of Nemo, lol so they'll pressure their parents to get one. There are many google links to clown fish breeding and you will not have great difficulty selling them on Craigslist etc.