Hey Who Dey...

monalisa

Since you've been very helpful to me in this little adventure I wanted to let you know that in addition to purchasing and doing my first water tests, which, by the way, weren't as scary as I thought they would be, but I also purchased another 2# of live rock today. I am keeping a picture album of of my tank, beginning to end and now today with testing results I'm logging that and will continue to do so. Any other suggestions?
I am SO getting there...not there yet...but getting there. I can't wait to start posting pics. We just switched from PC to Apple OS10 system (better...MUCH better virus protection), so I'm still in the learning curve on that. Anyone know how I go about this?
Thanks for responses....
Lisa:happyfish

who dey

well, i can see the addiction is growing quickly (good thing) it is definatelyh a good idea to log your water testing. compare and contrast. remember water changes should be done on a regular cycle. i do mine weekly so my fish are used to seeing it happen. to me it makes sense for less stress IMO. can't wait to see pics, i will be getting a camera soon and also will be posting pics.:jumping:

monalisa

Yeah, actually I was thinking about just creating something on the computer for logging what I want (as far as testing goes). But, I think that I'm going to photocopy what is already in my testing instructions and keep plenty of those on hand...still I think that I would really like to have a database set up documenting what I'm doing. What do you think?
I've already started a picture album on the computer, kind of a before, after, and during...will continue to add to that as well.
Addiction...whatever...pppsssttt :jumping:

who dey

it's always fun to document the growth in thtis hobby, you can use it as a referal down the road so you don't forget anyhtnhing you have experienced. i agree.... what addiction. i think ill stick to denial':happy:

monalisa

[denial], THAT'S the word I was looking for...
I'll be looking for you in the forums...and I'll try to keep you updated. Again, thanks loads!!!
Ok, a kind of benign question, why doesn't my signature show up?
Lisa :happyfish

monalisa

oh poop ... :mad:
So, I would be interested in keeping this thread alive with updates..etc..just so I don't have to post thread after thread ...would you be willing to help me out with this? You already know where I'm at, I will keep you updated on test results/changes..etc.
I'm on EVERY day...naughty, but that's life...

monalisa

thanks, I trust your input...let's just keep it up!!
Luv it, just keep checking, I'll be here...again, thanks loads!!!

monalisa

Thanks ophiura, good to know it's not just me...
Who Dey, I was beginning to wonder how I will know when my cycle is finished. Do I go strictly by test results? I needed to add water to my tank today as the level was getting a little low. I plan on doing more tests tomorrow after work.
It looks like almost everything in my tank has this rust colored stuff all over it, I take it that this is a normal part of the cycling process?
Also, is there a particular arrangement for power heads that is best, or does that go mainly on how the rock is arranged. I found a really cool something on one of the pieces of rock I bought yesterday...it's a burgundy colored polyp of some kind, very cool. Will I need to feed this little guy, or do they, and the featherdusters, get their nutrients from the rock.
Sorry so long, but I've been making a list of questions all day. Thanks again for your input...

trainfever

Theres no real system to adjusting water flow. Some people like to move it in a circular fashion. You want to adjust your powerheads and all your pumps so that all of your water is constantly moving. You dont want any dead spots where waste can accumulate. When you feed your fish, if you see excess food settling in one spot, you know that you need to adjust your powerheads.

who dey

hi mona, the rust growing is begining stages of diatoms which means your nitrates are starting to escalate! all good things. i will respond more in a bit but i'm trying to figure out this new damn digital camera
jamie

monalisa

I hope this doesn't sound goofy, but the fact that my nitrates are spiking means the ammonia has already spiked, right? I'm SO excited about that!! I didn't have my test kits until yesterday, so I didn't really see the ammonia spike (feel kinda cheated out of that, but oh well). I will be doing tests again tomorrow...Wow, I think I can really do this!!
As always, thanks!! Yippee :jumping:
PS: I decided that I wanted to start a database on my computer to record test results, dates, etc. Did that today and will be backing that up on a jump drive...Geez, isn't this fun? Fish AND computers!!
If you have time, please respond to the feeding questions for the little critters that I have...2 featherdusters (teeny, tiny), 1 polyp of some kind, and 1 bumblebee snail (hitch hiker).

who dey

your little critters except for the snail are what we call filter feeders, they need no special attention except regular water changes. they will feed off nutrients found in the water such as iodine, calcium, magnesium, stronium, all of these are used up by the animals and replaced by regular water changes. when you begin to increase to a large bioload, some dosing may be applicable as to these nutrients can be used up quickly with lots of corals and inverts.
still can't figure out how to attach.
oh yeah, the snail will feed on your diatoms and eventually macro algae that will be growing in your environment

monalisa

Thanks a lot...I know you're really busy. I'm really happy to know that my tank is going so well, and frankly I'm really excited about that!!! I feel very reassured. Thanks again!!
More questions to follow, I'm sure..hope you don't mind.
If you find out how to post pics, please let me know...I can't seem to figure it out either, and I've got some really cool pics of my little critters that my hubby took.
talk to you tomorrow. Thanks, Lisa :happyfish

who dey

i did! i posted some pics monday they are way down on the threads, i'll bump them so you can see em!

monalisa

Wow, that's only 3 months old? Holy smokes!! I need more rock in my tank. It's only a 37gal, but it's a deep 37, more square than rectangle.
Also, I have been thinking of getting a protein skimmer, and I was wondering if I would still need to run my filter with that. I'm thinking that I need another powerhead as well because the tank is so deep (I'm getting that for sure this weekend).
All of my critters are out and about this morning, plus I have another featherduster, that's 3 in all now with more tubes forming on that rock. My pretty little burgundy polyp decided she didn't like the piece of rock she came on and moved next door to another little piece of rock (that surprised me a little, thought I'd lost her). When I turned the lights on this morning I noticed little bugs on the live rock...good right?
Tested water yesterday and it looks like ammonia is coming up, but so are nitrates. I've only had it set up for a little over a week. I think I'm right on track. Talk to you later.