hhh

melissa1

we are looking for feedback on our fairly new reef tanks. Currently our tank houses the following:
Tom. Clown
blue tang
blue mand. dragonet/goby
2 damsels
mono argentus
6 line wrasse
royal gramma
yellow watchman goby
35 hermit crabs
3 bumble bee snails
3 margarita snails
3 visible feathers (lots of tiny feathers)
grap/frogspawn coral
assorted polyps
55lbs live rock
6 baby( i mean tiny) bristtle stars

melissa1

:happyfish
we also have 2 shrimps
peppermint & a scarlet shrimp
Everyone keeps telling us not to add any "livestock" in the tank for at least a month od starting the tank however we have had the same fish now s we did when we started the tank and everyone seems to be happy!!
here's another picture

greatfullreefer

How old is the tank..did it cycle yet? IMO a 60 gallon is far too small for a blue tang (should be ok for a while as it looks like a juvi in the picture) if your tank is new then i am affraid your mandarin may starve to death as their food source are pods which only an established tank can provide.

melissa1

We test the water everyday and all levels are "ideal"
as for the blue tang we read that yes they need a min tank size of 70 gallons, and we are in the process of getting an 80 gallon that is the only reason we got the tang!! and thank you very much for the feedback form both of you.
Does any one know anything about star polyps &/ or flame scallops??

nicky1.8t

star polyps grow really fast under ideal situations, however flame scallops are a species that imo should be left in the ocean. It seems that after a few weeks of doing great they slowly die off no matter what you do. And by the way mandarin needs a lot of live rock to grow the pods that it will need to survive. They can easily mow down a tank full of pods in 3 months, and then slowly die. any pics of the setup? good luck

melissa1

i was just reading about the flame scallops, the polyps & the goby!!
i have found that you can add copepods to your tank with zoo plyankton do you know if this will help to keep my goby alive??
As for the rock we have at least 55 lbs in a 60 gallon tank we were told that the "ideal" 9 i use that loosley) is 40 lbs!! so i think we are ok on the rock part.
We just got some star burst polyps and they are not opening anything we can do to help in the process?
did you not see my pics above?

beckzilla

Your rock looks beautiful bit please heed this warning. Dont add anything too fast. That is the worst thing you can do. Let the tank acclimate to its inhabitants slowly and all your livestock will be much happier, and you too.:D BTW... I tried a flame scallop once and as soon as i added it i got a huge sandstorm in the tank from him moving around and he only lasted a couple of months.