hi need help

jturner0207

i just got a 55 gallon tank from a good friend the salt is coming with the tank with the special stuff that he add when he had fish in it i just got a tank .
1.what do i do to start it up what do .
2.what do i need
3.what do i buy.
4.and what kind of lights doi get..
I am moving to Wichita KS . in the next 3 weeks i will start the fish tank

bizzmoneyb

yes, thoroughly read through the links oniel21 posted. there is so much to read and learn. there are several things you need to decide on that will effect what equipment you will need.
do you plan on having just fish or corals as well?
this question will affect which type of light you will need.
you also need to decide what type of filtration you will use. there are many different types and combinations. everyone has a different preference/opinion on these.
my best advice is to go slow and do it right. read everything you can to determine which is the best course for you to take, and do it right, even if it takes alittle more time and money. if you cheap out it will cost you more in the long run.
and invest in a refractometer. its a small device that measure the salinity of your water. i got mine on e bay for like $30 shipped.
good luck, and ask lots of questions!

socal57che

I would also suggest picking up a book or two. They will come in handy as you get started. "The Conscientious Marina Aquarist" by Robert Fenner is one book that most consider a must have.
Also, (back by popular demand) SWF is once again carrying refractometers. I suggest supporting this site.