Hi, new 75 gallon fish tank build

mavmike72

Had a 55 reef for awhile and ran across a 75 so im setting it up for triggers. Here are some pics so far. Im trying to figure out on some affordable lighting for it. Any tips would be great thanks.

crypt keeper

why type of triggers? Most will out grow the tank in a period of a 6 months to a year. You could go with humu Humu or a undy species tank only.

crypt keeper

if bought all or under 3 inches you should be okay for maybe a year. The humu humu will be okay for about 2 years as they grow very slowly

skate020

yep, 75g is too small for a trigger in the long run, and considering its a inwall tank, is it worth the hassle? a humu humu would be cool, but clowna nd niger you havent a chance, they will out grow it within a year and more likely than not the clown will get stressed and go mad, killing the other 2.
if i were you i would rather put in like a humu humu with maybe a dogface puffer and a couple other fish which could probs last about as long in there as the humu would.
other than the size problems, the tank looks great and clean and rockwork looks cool:)

mavmike72

Thanks, its really cloudy but everthing came out of my 55 gallon, that was sitting for a year. After the big ice storm we had last year i lost interest. I need to concentrate on lights first. I anybody has ideas on a good set of light for about 175.00 let me no. Im starting off with fish but im sure down the road i will change it and add some corals. So i would like some light i can use for both.

skate020

hmmmm, when adding corals you generally wanna go for about 5w per gallon, so that around 350-400w for that tank.
you could get a arcania classic metal halide single 150w which is about $180, if you put corals under that they will do fine if its the general hardy corals like zoas, leathers, mushrooms, colts that kinda stuff.
if you set that up in the middle you could then get 2 really cheap PC lights and put them either side. would look ugly from the outside but considering they will be hidden it'll light up the sides.
if not with the corals the lighting will probs be quite expensive.

mavmike72

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3220792
hmmmm, when adding corals you generally wanna go for about 5w per gallon, so that around 350-400w for that tank.
you could get a arcania classic metal halide single 150w which is about $180, if you put corals under that they will do fine if its the general hardy corals like zoas, leathers, mushrooms, colts that kinda stuff.
if you set that up in the middle you could then get 2 really cheap PC lights and put them either side. would look ugly from the outside but considering they will be hidden it'll light up the sides.
if not with the corals the lighting will probs be quite expensive.

Thanks, are the t5 lights any good ive been hearing people talk about them.

skate020

t5 are good if you have enough of them, usually need about about 8 of them or so.
they are good and once you have them very cheap to maintain, bulbs are no where near as expensive as halides.