HI Newby here

alane67

Hi all, I recently got my first aquarium! :) I bought a 75 gallon reef tank.
My starter damsels are doing well so hope to start adding new companions soon. BTW, Since I am new, I am hiring someone to at least do maintenance once a month. I would hate to keep killing fish through trial and error, and also want to learn as much as I can about suitable companions. I don't want to watch one fish harrass another endlessly. I want a nice peacefull environment. Since my tank is reef does that make a difference on the fish I can get?
I think you are supposed to have a certain light for live anenomes, live coral...whatever it is called :help:
Do clown fish have to have a host anenome?
What would you consider good companions for a 75g for a newby, but does have help in maintenance?
I am sure my maintenance guy will answer a lot of questions for me, but I would like opions on other fish besides one person :jumping: cuz I am just jumping for joy over my new tank. It looks so pretty! I have a LOT of dead coral and it is arranged for lot's of little places for fish to hide or frolick through. S
So, I would like some cute active fish darting around the coral, and one or two nice specimen fish (larger fish)
give me some ideas guys!
Thanks in advance'=
Alane

larryndana

Originally Posted by alane67
Hi all, I recently got my first aquarium! :) I bought a 75 gallon reef tank.
My starter damsels are doing well so hope to start adding new companions soon. BTW, Since I am new, I am hiring someone to at least do maintenance once a month. I would hate to keep killing fish through trial and error, and also want to learn as much as I can about suitable companions. I don't want to watch one fish harrass another endlessly. I want a nice peacefull environment. Since my tank is reef does that make a difference on the fish I can get?
I think you are supposed to have a certain light for live anenomes, live coral...whatever it is called :help:
Do clown fish have to have a host anenome?
What would you consider good companions for a 75g for a newby, but does have help in maintenance?
I am sure my maintenance guy will answer a lot of questions for me, but I would like opions on other fish besides one person :jumping: cuz I am just jumping for joy over my new tank. It looks so pretty! I have a LOT of dead coral and it is arranged for lot's of little places for fish to hide or frolick through. S
So, I would like some cute active fish darting around the coral, and one or two nice specimen fish (larger fish)
give me some ideas guys!
Thanks in advance'=
Alane
Welcome to the boards.
I would invest in a good marine book. this will give you the boost in the right direction. The New Marine Aquarium, is a good one to start with....as well as many others.
As far as maintenance, you should be able to do most or all of it yourself.
For corals you will need to upgrade lighting from any stock lighting for your tank. You also need to purchase some Live rock, as for the dead coral....not sure, i think i'd remove it.
I'm sad to say, if you are cycling with damsels....that it is a terrible way to start a tank and your lfs probably just wants to make money. Ammonia in the beginning of your cycle will burn the gills of your fish. not only that but damsels are territorial and in some cases stress new comers to the point of death.

alane67

Amazon dot com here I come for the book...thanks for the suggestion.
I know stupid questions, but for right now, I appreciate yalls help. It is hard for me to go to a fish store often, as I am epileptic and can't drive, so would only be able to go when I can get a ride. I also have other neuro problems, that is why I want somehing nice and peacefull.
Well, I guess it is to the books for me, research then order what I want.
Thanks for your help,
Alane

alane67

Cycling with damsels and burning their gills, I let the tank run for a couple of weeks...I don't know what you mean. Sorry
Welcome to the boards.
I would invest in a good marine book. this will give you the boost in the right direction. The New Marine Aquarium, is a good one to start with....as well as many others.
As far as maintenance, you should be able to do most or all of it yourself.
For corals you will need to upgrade lighting from any stock lighting for your tank. You also need to purchase some Live rock, as for the dead coral....not sure, i think i'd remove it.
I'm sad to say, if you are cycling with damsels....that it is a terrible way to start a tank and your lfs probably just wants to make money. Ammonia in the beginning of your cycle will burn the gills of your fish. not only that but damsels are territorial and in some cases stress new comers to the point of death.

alane67

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
welcome!! just ask questions, preferably one at a time and some one will guide you trough.. :happyfish
Yeah, I quess your right, my enthusiasm got the best of me, and wanted to know others favs or experences with reefs.
alane

larryndana

you can gain alot of advice from here for sure, a book is just a jump start. as for cycling, search for it here or look it up in a book. I've heard ammonia burns gills, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

alane67

Thanks, actually iti s not a reef, they called it reef ready. I guess I thought that was what the sump was called....lol
BUt, I did think this forum was for newby questions. I do plan to get the book, though, then come back and ask questions then. As for the newby forum, heck even the questions are over my head.

Thanks bunches,
Alane

Slow down, breathe, first off, you can cycle with a raw shrimp to add the bacteria you need. Damsels will be hard to catch and eventually you will want to get rid of them, but they are good beginner fish. You have three categories of fish, friendly, aggressive, and reef safe. Reef safe will not eat corals, friendly may, but will get along with other fish and inverts, and aggressive is like playing gladiator, a friend once told me. If they aren't compatible, if one is weak or sick, if they need more room, ...they could wack each other like they're playing mafia and mess things up bad.
I'd recommend going friendly and possible include reef safe if you plan to upgrade to a reef tank. This will require expensive lighting and high water quality. Be careful the fish guys will try to take advantage of you unless it's someone you trust or know. Take it very slow at first and read up.
Answers:
75g you can put most fish in, just don't overstock
clowns don't need an anenome and can be picky about them
Dead corals are ok, you should definately have live rock and stuff from that may start to grow on the coral skeletons

larryndana

Originally Posted by alane67
Thanks, actually iti s not a reef, they called it reef ready. I guess I thought that was what the sump was called....lol
BUt, I did think this forum was for newby questions. I do plan to get the book, though, then come back and ask questions then. As for the newby forum, heck even the questions are over my head.

Thanks bunches,
Alane
Yeah, i've seen those reef ready tanks, sometimes they are not very reef ready, lol.
A sump goes under your tank - its a place to add water volume, a place to put heaters and skimmer. just a simple explanation.
It takes some time to understand what is what, thats why i tell people to read a book for a jump start.