hiding anemone

tsdid

I have a question about a BTA. I have had this anemone for 2 years now and it was under compact florecent lighting. I recently upgraded my tank to a 180gallon and it has t5 and 250 watt metal halide lighting. When I placed the anemone in the tank I aclimated it for about 1-2 weeks to the lighting. It was very small and then after 3-4 weeks it exposed its tips. 2 weeks later it tucked itself away again and is hiding for about 3 weeks now. Is this common?

tsdid

yeah thats what i figured, it seems to have a nice color but its tucked away most of the time. One thing I noticed immediately is when I had it under CF's the tenticles were not bubbled, when it did come out in the new tank it was nice and bubbled. Do you think its just a matter of time before it acclimates and starts using the light as food to grow?

flower

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/3238884
yeah thats what i figured, it seems to have a nice color but its tucked away most of the time. One thing I noticed immediately is when I had it under CF's the tenticles were not bubbled, when it did come out in the new tank it was nice and bubbled. Do you think its just a matter of time before it acclimates and starts using the light as food to grow?

I think it is used to the lights....get a (new) turkey baster and fill it with thawed brine shrimp..squirt it gently at the mouth and feed it...It will come out and begin to grow, then switch to chunks of raw shrimp when it is big enough.
Anemnes are meat eaters as well as needing bright lights. They become fish eaters later when they are big enough to catch one.

tsdid

for that past 2 years i have been feeding it mysis shimp and he eats it. I still do when he is open enough to accept it.

flower

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/3238902
for that past 2 years i have been feeding it mysis shimp and he eats it. I still do when he is open enough to accept it.

The lighting makes a difference, I am surprised it survived under PC lights at all. The water current also has allot to do with where an anemone wants to call home, if you change the power heads position it may move to a more open area. Keep feeding him.