high calcium level

bn91280

I changed my water a couple days ago, and apparantly, it raised my calcium level. It is testing at 580ppm right now, this is a reef tank. What might this do to my tank? Should I do another water change with water that has a lower calcium level?

schnutzzy

Do you mix your own salt and water for water changes. I had the same problem when my tank was new. It turned out the water I was buying from the LFS premade had a calcium level of 700. I tested there water at the store and gave them a piece of my mind, then started mixing my own. It took almost 3 months to get the level down to 450. I now never take for granted my LFS are telling the truth or taking this hobby as serious as the rest of us. It is all about the mighty dollar. Good luck in getting it back down.

bn91280

I get it from the LFS. So, what should i do to get it back down? or is it high enough to worry about? should i just let it come down on its own?

schnutzzy

How I got mine down was mixing my own salt and ro water and not dosing for calcium. Many water changes later, it came down. You will see it go down with each water change until you reach the level you want. It took me about 3 months. I have a 72 and changed 15 gallons every 3 weeks.

rtspeed

580 is a little high but i keep my sps tank at like 520 to 540, as long a you are not seeing a drop in dKH or a ph spike, then just let it natural work its way down. If you start to get a precepitation or a snow effect in the tank then just do a quick small water change every other day.