HIGH Calcium

laddy

Popular sentiment is that high calcium = low alkalinity, and probably low pH which is not a good thing in reef maintenance.

dogstar

Originally Posted by Vanquish
What happens if your Ca is REALLY high? Like say 580?
precipitation......looks like a little snow storm in the tank......not a good thing. It can crash the alkalinity and cause major ph swings. Do water changes with a salt mix that gives you best alk. and cal. levels....

W

winstew

You will also get build up on calcium carbonate on your pump impellers and powerhead impellers.

mudplayerx

High calcium also means low available calcium. So when your calcium is 580, the available calcium is probably closer to around 200.

vanquish

My KH is actually really high, 160ppm, and my pH is 8.2 and I do not use a buffer. I use PurpleUp for my coraline, xenia, zoos and mushroom. Could that cause massive swings in calcium levels? I didnt worry about it before because my Calcium was at 460 about a week ago. I havent dosed in three days, I did a water change yesterday, and today those are my numbers, with Ca at 580.

vanquish

I guess what im really worried about is if the high Ca is harmful, or if its just a sign that im wasting my PurpleUp by using it to often.

sleasia

There are also a few salt mixes which are very high in calcium. I think Oceanic is one. This bumped my calcium in fowlr tank to over 600 and caused havok with my seastars. It took forever to bring it down.

dogstar

That alk. is low IMO. softies dont need high cal. levels. Test your new water befor useing it....

vanquish

You make a good point. The water i buy is Saltwater RO. I assumed that it just had the trace elements in it, i never thought it could have come with high levels of Ca too, or to test for it for that matter.

tboy

my cal & alk chart
cal alk
6/9 510 6.4DKH
6/16 500 5.8
6/18 500 8.8
6/20 450 8.0
6/25 450 8.8
6/27 425 9.9
6/28 430 10.4
6/29 430 10.6
7/5 410 8.0
7/11 410 8.0
7/13 400 9.6
7/19 350 7.7
7/25 340 10.9
in the begining i used Oceanic salt anh my cal is way up so i change it to Instance Ocean salt and buffer for my alk to bring my cal down and my alk up. as now u guy can see that i got my alk up but my cal is going down. lately everyday i add the two part addittive by B-Ionic 20ml each.
WHAT SHOULD I DO
:help:

D

davidmwj

What size is your tank Tboy? You can add up to 1ml/gall (no more) of B-ionic iirc. Just add the Calcium component for a couple of days unless Alk looks like it's going to drop below 9.
I have a 90 gallon and was told that was a little large for the bionic system. I'm still using bionic to keep my alk up, but using Purple Up to get my calcium up. Actually, I alternate between the Calcium component and Purple up since Purple UP targets the rock. Purple Up will definitely raise the calcium faster than B-ionic if you want to try that.

vanquish

So, if my Ca is to high then obviously im adding to much PurpleUp. But if my KH is to low, why is that if PurpleUp contains carbonate as well?