High Nitrate

topofsteel

Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Ph = 7.8 (ish)
but my Nitrates are through the roof! between 20 and 40. Is this from Overfeeding? I'm about to do a water change. Thanks.

rebelprettyboy

What size tank do you have? And how amny time do you feed your fish? WHat fish do you have in there? 20 Nitrates isnt that high for a fish only tank but 40 is gettin high, but do a water change

topofsteel

55 gallon. A huma, coral angle, sharp nose puffer and a lawnmower blemy and 2 big hermit crabs and 5 or so small ones. I usually feed them once a day but skip one once in a while, No under gravel filter, 2 Aqua clear 70/300's. I'm doing a water change today.

rebelprettyboy

hmm 20 isnt to bad, but you would want to keep an eye on them... and also get a phosphate test kit and check those... but right now that isnt to bad, when you do a water change i do at least a 10 gallon one today and check them, later

ophiura

YOur nitrates are NOT through the roof, so don't do anything drastic...which can cause more problems that just ignoring it.
If you have a trigger in that tank, I think you will in time have problems, and it is quite possible you are overfeeding. Triggers can eat a lot, fast, and that makes us think they need it.
Your pH may also be tied into a high nutrient load. Do you have any algae problems?

sepulatian

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change out at a time? Doing frequent, once every week-two weeks, water changes will keep your nitrates in check. Triggers and puffers are messy fish and usually require slightly more tank maintenance.