High Nitrate

Hey guys,
Well when i orginally put the water in my 92 gallon corner aga tank our tap water had super high nitrate.
Now i got my typhoon 3 ro/di converot and put in 45 gallons of perfect water and i just tested my water and the nitrate is still at 50ppm!
What do i need to do?
It has been 24 hours since i did the 50% water change.
Thanks,
Mike

broomer5

Did the nitrate level drop ANY since the 50% water change ?
What was the nitrate reading of the tankwater before the change ?
Have you tested the RO/DI water or newly mixed saltwater for nitrate ?
( this may sound like a silly question - but are you sure you're getting the RO/DI water from the new unit, and not the wasteline reject water ? )

beaslbob

Originally posted by TheShadowWRX
Hey guys,
Well when i orginally put the water in my 92 gallon corner aga tank our tap water had super high nitrate.
Now i got my typhoon 3 ro/di converot and put in 45 gallons of perfect water and i just tested my water and the nitrate is still at 50ppm!
What do i need to do?
It has been 24 hours since i did the 50% water change.
Thanks,
Mike

Actually need more information here. Like is this an established tank for instance. In my 55g weekly tests nitrates are from 30-50 ppm. One problem is that the test kit is extremely hard to read at those levels with the only difference being a slightly different shade of red. Nitrates are comming down as I add macro algae from my 20g long.
By contrast my 20g long macro algae tank is 0.0 on nitrates. That is light yellow on the test. Shortly after a small angelfish had died, nitrites pegged the test, and then nitrates showed the same red reading as the 55g. It took about 3 weeks for the nitrates to come down to 0.0. (only fish in the tank was a baby mollie about an inch long).
You can do water changes with perfect water forever and nitrates will not come down to 0.0. To fully stablize nitrates (hopefully at 0.0) you need algae. Algae will grow on it's own or you can add macro algae. I prefer the appearance of macro algae.

well it has a crushed coral base, and i can't find southdown around here so i might just keep the crushed coral...
The tank has been setup for about 3 weeks now and everything else is at 0 aside from nitrate.
Yes we are using the pure water and i tested it and it has 0 nitrates...
I could go get some alage from the lfs if i need to, and now that you mention it the shade of red is a tiny bit lighter...
Thanks,
Mike

Also would it be ok to put my mushroom coral into that tank with the nitrates that high or would it kill it?
Thanks,
Mike

beaslbob

Originally posted by TheShadowWRX
well it has a crushed coral base, and i can't find southdown around here so i might just keep the crushed coral...
The tank has been setup for about 3 weeks now and everything else is at 0 aside from nitrate.
Yes we are using the pure water and i tested it and it has 0 nitrates...

Southdown is popular on this board. I don't think it is absolutely necessary. I use play sand from home depot. Anthing you put in the tank will be covered with algae very quickly- so no need to worry about having a really white sand. Crushed Coral does add calcuim and buffering so keeping some coral is benificial.
I could go get some alage from the lfs if i need to, and now that you mention it the shade of red is a tiny bit lighter...
Thanks,
Mike

you might do a search on macroalgae in google or on ----. Mine came from www.florida-aqua-farms.com with 4 red bushed and 4 green bushes and a bunch of kelp like algae for $35.00 delivered.
Meanwhile--- so the nitrates are a little lighter red. LOL. Yep leave it alone, allow the algae to grow, and the tank takes care of itself.

reefnut

My sand is still very white... I wonder why?
High nitrates will effect the schroom. I would get them down before putting the schrooms in.

Do you think i could keep the crushed coral, i like how it looks, i have heard once i get coral ill wish i had live sand so if you think it is worth switching to live sand I would rahter do it now if im ever going to do it.
Also if i keep crushed coral how can i keep nitrates low.
Mike

reefnut

In my opinion, switch to sand. You won't regret it in the long run
As far as keeping the nitrates low now...
Water changes to get it down. Water Changes, Refuge for macro algae and a good skimmer to keep it down.
How many fish do you have?
Mr. broomer5 is very knowlagable... answer his questions and he will be able to help you more than I.
Good Luck,