HIGH NITRATES HELP!!

rob

70gallon marine tank stocked with 5 small sized fish Filtration consists of fluval 402 cannister full of biochemstars and 2 sponges(cleaned monthly) and Undergravel filter tank has been setup almost a year now nitrates exceed 140ppm and despite fact i've been doing water changes (about 10) in the last month and half I've seen no changein my nitrate level perhaps due to possibiiity nitrate is so high it is slowly being diluted with water changes but not yet noticeable on test kit level. I'am deliberating wether or not to remove the UGF and repalce with some other filtration perhaps wet/dry unit or just to continue with my water changes or what, any advice is appreciated
Thanks

gus

I suggest that you try to switch over to a wet/dry filtration. As far as the undergravel filter is concerned, just remove the powerheads and tubes and cap the openings. What happens is that the nitrates will collect under the gravel. What happens is that they change into oxygen and leave via air bubbles to the surface. Adding a protien skimmer will also help.

porkypuffer

YOU MAY HAVE ALOT OF DEBRIS UNDER THE UGF WHICH WILL NEED TO BE REMOVED, ALSO WHAT TYPE OF WATER ARE YOU USEING, TAP, R/O, DISTILLED?

dleto1

I also had Nitrate trouble as you do. I used a Nitrate reducer I got online from PET WAREHOUSE they have a few brands. It took about two weeks to kick in but it has been keeping it down. Wet dry and protien skimmer will help also. How is your phosphate levils ?? good luck
Originally posted by Rob:
70gallon marine tank stocked with 5 small sized fish Filtration consists of fluval 402 cannister full of biochemstars and 2 sponges(cleaned monthly) and Undergravel filter tank has been setup almost a year now nitrates exceed 140ppm and despite fact i've been doing water changes (about 10) in the last month and half I've seen no changein my nitrate level perhaps due to possibiiity nitrate is so high it is slowly being diluted with water changes but not yet noticeable on test kit level. I'am deliberating wether or not to remove the UGF and repalce with some other filtration perhaps wet/dry unit or just to continue with my water changes or what, any advice is appreciated
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Fish + UG=nitrate....I haven't figured out any way to get around it, without changing my filtration mode. If anyone does, let me know.

zaria

I would wonder why your cleaning the sponges. As I understand it, they harbor all sorts of good bacteria and when your cleaning them that often you alter the natural biological cycle that helps to maintain your tank. I have a Fluval also and have only cleaned the sponges out onc in a year and half. All we do is change the charcoal. Just a thought. Also I agree with the underground filter advice. Their great for starting out, but after about a year they contribute to the polution in your tank. We ended up taking the tank down and removing it, since things have gone great with regards to nitrates.
Best of luck to you.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How high was your nitrates, RR?? I bought some product about 2 mos ago that came in a bag and put that in my canister filter. It was off-white in color and looked like white charcoal. It came in a net type bag. It hasn't done anything for nitrates.

kris

Nitrates, nitrates, nitrates, the never ending battle! The ug is not totally to blame here, but certainly you will have better luck with the sand and a wet/dry. Don't just close off the ug, keep it or loose it altogether. If you keep it, check for other sources,like your water-and amount of food your feeding those little fishies. Some of the products work for nitrates and some don't, but check these other things first.
And as far as cleaning the foam cartridges in the canisters (and other bio-media as well) they do need to be rinsed in tank water to remove excess debris periodically otherwise they will not function as efficiently as we need them to and may have a negative effect, like increasing NITRATES.

clayton

Sack the undergravel!! Use wet/dry filters and/or a fliudised bed filter. A good skimmer will also help you keep inverts. You can use your canister filters to power the wet and dry filter which you can easily make yourself. Algae filters are great for removing Nitrate!! Mail me if you would like further details.

eric

vacume the U/G real well using either a syphon or a canaster and a diatom filter get everywhere even if you have to move rocks or anything else.