high nitrates in QT?

roggy23

what should i do? been fishless for 3 months.
will water change take care of it and how much change for my 20 gal?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How do you have the QT set up? Why nitrates? Do you have substrate? Details about the setup needed.

roggy23

Beth its just a 20 gal with heater, small rio filter and a MJ PH 600, no substrate. the nitrates were at about 20-40 reading, wasnt extremely high jjust kinda mid range?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do a water change and add a sponge filter to your display to seed it. Then, after about a wk or so, add the sponge filter to your QT.
What water do you use on the QT and what type food do you use for the fish?

roggy23

my fish NOW get a variety, frozen food mixed with garlic, krill, squid, and mysis shrimp. i will be adding ZOE to their diet as well. before they were getting only squid - no garlic no variety.
should i add ZOE ASAP while they are in QT?
and is it better to add ZOE to tank water or soak in food?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Never add zoe or any supplement to tank water. Use garlic for now, since the puffer has hazzy eyes. How long has the puffer been in hyposalinity? I am hoping the hazy eyes will clear up as the ich infestation clears up. That puffer should also be getting some hard shelled foods to munch down on, otherwise, his teeth will grow and extend into his head.

roggy23

beth, i started hypo levels today. can you give me an example of hard shelled foods please?
I just have shelld in the tank that i noticed he bites on occasionally:confused:

roggy23

oh BTW, i noticed its getting crowded for both my puffer and my tigger in the 20g QT :nervous:
would it be possible to place a glass in the middle of the tank to keep them away from each other?