High Nitrates

ophiura

Nitrate issues are caused by the hobbyist.
It is the result of too much import, and not enough export. People will be upset by this answer, but it is, ultimately, the answer.
Too much food
Too many animals
Too little water changes
Not enough skimming, or other export (macroalgae)
Improper maintenance of substrate (eg crushed coral siphoning)
Failure to maintain filters (whether bioballs, cannisters, sponges, etc)
Nitrate problems are not caused by filtration (aka the nitrate "factory" argument). The biological filter in a tank, be it live rock, bioballs, biowheels, etc do convert ammonia to nitrite and ultimately nitrate. They are typically highly effective at doing this. But they don't "create" nitrate out of nothing. The source of nitrate is the food going in, and failure to take enough out.
The effects on fish may be limited. It has long been considered a cause of Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in fish but I've seen systems that are chronically 125+ with low rate of HLLE. It may cause stress. Probably it will have more of an impact on algae growth (which will be high) and discoloration of corals.
To lower them, you must be honest.
You must reduce feeding, you may need to reduce the bioload, you have to increase water changes, maybe change water source. You have to clean your filters properly and frequently, you need to potentially reconsider equipment or tank set up (eg add live rock, deep sand bed, skimmer or refugium).
It also very much depends on how "high" your nitrates are. If around 10, I wouldn't much worry at all and don't consider it high. If over 20, then it is something to start working on.
But it is never a critical emergency requiring drastic effort. Slow and steady wins the nitrate battle.

ophiura

20 is not too bad. If you have been doing once a month water changes, switch to two. Or if you have been doing say 10g do 15. A little modification....be obsessive about regularly cleaning or changing sponges, watch the feeding (don't let the fish guilt you into more food). A minor modification will probably be enough to get that down.

florida joe

If I were to answer you question strictly as it was asked my answers would be
Nitrates are caused by the natural progression of nitrification.
Any build up of a substance that is not the norm in their natural environment will most likely affect our fish adversely.
You lower them by finding equilibrium between nitrification and D-nitrification (natural and if necessary mechanical or physical)