high nitrates

rigdon87

Originally Posted by soulsigma
http:///forum/post/3049064
But your also dealing with a nitrate problem which you are trying to keep in check.
Understood but you want to check them out to get a feel for how long you can go until they need to be cleaned and/or replaced. The point is to catch is to catch your canister filter before any issues arise (nitrate factory).
IN THIS HOBBY BAD THINGS HAPPEN FAST AND GOOD THINGS COME SLOW. IT IS BETTER TO TAKE FAST ACTION NOW TO AVOID HAVING TO TRAVEL DOWN THE PATH OF REACTION

So what are you implying i do?? (sorry dont get what your trying to tell me)

florida joe

Do not do too much cleaning of your filter mechanical media at one time as you are greatly diminishing your bio-filtration

rigdon87

Oh yeah i kno your supposed to stagger your filter cleaning but i jusst figured i had enough lr an that i wouldn't take long for the bacteria to recolonize in the filters.. I did leave the ceramic rings alone though

soulsigma

Originally Posted by Rigdon87
http:///forum/post/3049069
So what are you implying i do?? (sorry dont get what your trying to tell me)
In your case we are dealing with high nitrates, which got out of control and now you are slowly but surely getting them down and thats a good thing^ Now the key is to keep fine tunning everything you have done up to this point to hit the magic number O which will require diligence on your behalf and time and Patience
will take care of the rest (The Golden Rule In This Hobby). Your are doing a good job and your on the right track it just going to take some time

+1 to Joe now that you got the canister filter under control a mass cleaning or changing of the pads is not required a little at a time will keep the canister filter in check and healthy.

florida joe

Do not get the false impression that you life rock can sustain your tank. Depending on how your filtration system is set up your LR could be taking a back seat to your mechanical filtration. Do not get to hung up on trying to get your nitrates to zero. That is a number many many experienced hobbyists without standing tanks never achieve

rigdon87

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3049164
Do not get to hung up on trying to get your nitrates to zero. That is a number many many experienced hobbyists without standing tanks never achieve
Yeah im not gonna kill myself trying to get em at zero i just want them to be consistant at this point,this tank isnt gonna be up much longer anyways but thank you guys for all the help

penske38

Nitrates are definitely hard to get to zero. I have a 125 gallon saltwater tank and consistently my nitrates is 20 ppm. I would like to go lower, but no matter the water changes, siphoning the sand, cleaning bio balls (with water from tank exclusively), cleaning polishing sponge, etc. Nitrates stay at 20 ppm. Water placed in tank is always at 0.
I've been told by more experienced hobbyist that nitrates especially in that range are okay and safe, unless you have a reef tank. Some have even stated that high nitrate levels are often overrated.