high salt

24aqua

can high salt be bad?my salt level got a lil high 1.028 and my clowns seemed to be breathing heavy lfs didnt have any ro water. i got some yesterday and this morning they look better all other parameters are fine :help:

N

nereef

1.028 is a little high. i wouldn't want my tank any higher than 1.026.

michaeltx

and yes to much salt in a tank can cause problems and stress fish out.
just like to high a temp and to low a temp.
Mike

rusting

Originally Posted by 24aqua
can high salt be bad?my salt level got a lil high 1.028 and my clowns seemed to be breathing heavy lfs didnt have any ro water. i got some yesterday and this morning they look better all other parameters are fine :help:
If it was a fast change, it could stress them. A slow change in either direction, should not.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by rusting
If it was a fast change, it could stress them. A slow change in either direction, should not.
I agree, but would bring it down......

merredeth

I drip water into my tank when the salinity gets out of whack and have never lost anything by doing this.
Today, I had to do it for my main tank. I just filled up a 5 gallon jug and stuck my tube into the bottom of the jug and tied it off to restrict the flow on the other side and had it drip into my tank.
The drip rate was about 1 drop per second.
My corals, fish and inverts seem to take the swings pretty well when I do salinity adjustments in this fashion.
Denise M.