High School

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392778/high-school#post_3489867
Teaching kids how to use a computer is a lot different than having them use that computer to do their English or Math lessons.
I am talking a national standard. All kids should be able to do multiplication tables by the end of the 3rd grade. How they reach that goal is up to them but at the end of the year they should know what 12x12 equals. Every state should have the same standard but should be allowed to use their own method of reaching it.
They don't even teach multiplication tables any longer the way we did them. They use this "system" where they move their fingers back and forth when when doing basic multiplication. I forget what they call it, but they teach them multiplying by using one hand as the 10's, and the other as one's (or something like that). Kids today don't bother. They just pull out their smartphones and open up the calculator app. What's really scary is some kids don't know how to read an analog clock.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3489886
They don't even teach multiplication tables any longer the way we did them. They use this "system" where they move their fingers back and forth when when doing basic multiplication. I forget what they call it, but they teach them multiplying by using one hand as the 10's, and the other as one's (or something like that). Kids today don't bother. They just pull out their smartphones and open up the calculator app. What's really scary is some kids don't know how to read an analog clock.
Talk about scary things as our civilization advances... most people, including adults don't know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west and can show a visual representation of it by pointing out where the sun is in the sky by telling where North and South are.
Used to, survival knowledge was the basics for all human life - how to grow vegetables, fruits, fruit trees etc. and how to combat the pests and diseases that come with them. Now days you just go down to your local grocery store and can buy a tomato in the middle of Winter.
Used to, you were apprentised into crafts and skills - and you would spend YEARS of your adolescent life honing your skills so that you could be a productive member of society. Now days, this task is left to a failed eduction systemthat does not teach the basics of how to make a living.

reefraff

When I was in high school you had to have a year of math to graduate. Did I take algabra or calculus? Hell no. Wouldn't know either if they up and bit me on the butt. What I took I forget what they called it but I'll tell you what I learned. How to balance a checkbook. How to read a utility meter. How compounding interest works. Stuff you actually use in the real world in your daily life. I think that should be required in every school in the nation.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3489893
Talk about scary things as our civilization advances... most people, including adults don't know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west and can show a visual representation of it by pointing out where the sun is in the sky by telling where North and South are.
Used to, survival knowledge was the basics for all human life - how to grow vegetables, fruits, fruit trees etc. and how to combat the pests and diseases that come with them. Now days you just go down to your local grocery store and can buy a tomato in the middle of Winter.
Used to, you were apprentised into crafts and skills - and you would spend YEARS of your adolescent life honing your skills so that you could be a productive member of society. Now days, this task is left to a failed eduction systemthat does not teach the basics of how to make a living.
When they were working with me to try to retrain after the wreck one of the things I wanted to try was Gun smithing. They told me they wouldn't train for any trade craft because it took years to develop to the point you could earn a living at it. I used to fix copy machines. People tend to look down on copier technicians but the thing is if you were good at it you could go anywhere you wanted and get a job. It's one of those jobs you have to learn because nobody really teaches it.

sweat90lx

JP I did not know you were THAT young. Our local magnet school shut down a few years ago even though it was a great school. It pushed the students to a much higher level but got funding cut. I hope you had a great first day. Like I have told Seth, education will pay you back.
Teachers have an extremely hard job and too many parents want them to raise their children. I could not be one, without a doubt.
Seth- some of us still have those survival skills, but most live in the south. We are usually called rednecks, simple, or some other degrading name but still know how to live off the land.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3489944
JP I did not know you were THAT young. Our local magnet school shut down a few years ago even though it was a great school. It pushed the students to a much higher level but got funding cut. I hope you had a great first day. Like I have told Seth, education will pay you back.
Teachers have an extremely hard job and too many parents want them to raise their children. I could not be one, without a doubt.
Seth- some of us still have those survival skills, but most live in the south. We are usually called rednecks, simple, or some other degrading name but still know how to live off the land.
I think pretty much everyone here knows I'm from Louisiana. lol. I have those skills as well... I know how to hunt for food. I know how to fish. I know where the sun rises and sets. I know how to tell time with a stick. I know how to grow a garden. (which I am getting good at. I have a now 100ftx48ft plot of soon to be all raised beds, with a 20x40ft watermelon and cantaloupe patch and a row of blackberry bushes... yum. Hopefully I will be able to grow all my own fruits and veggies for my family and my parents and extended family in the next couple of years. I'm highly passionate about gardening.) and so on and so forth. I'm not simple minded, or a redneck - even though my neck is red from staying outside and working with my bare hands. I'm at least not ashamed of it by any means.

sweat90lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3489946
I think pretty much everyone here knows I'm from Louisiana. lol. I have those skills as well... I know how to hunt for food. I know how to fish. I know where the sun rises and sets. I know how to tell time with a stick. I know how to grow a garden. (which I am getting good at. I have a now 100ftx48ft plot of soon to be all raised beds, with a 20x40ft watermelon and cantaloupe patch and a row of blackberry bushes... yum. Hopefully I will be able to grow all my own fruits and veggies for my family and my parents and extended family in the next couple of years. I'm highly passionate about gardening.) and so on and so forth. I'm not simple minded, or a redneck - even though my neck is red from staying outside and working with my bare hands. I'm at least not ashamed of it by any means.
You redneck. LOL.
Those skills are important and most Americans dont have them, and probably why they call us names. I know you are very smart and will be very successful in anything you set your mind to.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx I know you are very smart and will be very successful in anything you set your mind to.
People keep telling me that - but I still have a hard time believing them.

travelerjp98

Wow... was not expecting the thread to take off like this!
it was pretty good but I am tired.
I'm from the north and I know how to hunt fish and garden... so I guess I'm a hick
the school is based on the international bacculauriate (sp?) And the school itself is very against standardized testing.
The teachers are very good and are all proud to be there.
Learning is based on collabiration, not memorization. They're trying to prepare us beyond college and ingot the real world.
alright, I get up at 6. Goodnight yalls.

sweat90lx

Seth you have written an extreme amount of knowledge on this site. I can not thank you enough for that. I heard it throughout all my mistakes in life but I have to learn the hard way. I still wouldnt call myself successful but my only bills are household and my truck but life is good and I have a few extra dollars I can spend on my hobbies.
JP- go to bed its late. LOL. The real world has lots of responsibility and bills, enjoy high school and learn all you can in school and about life. Reefraff probably learned how to use a magnet on the power meter. Seriously, high school will be something you will never forget.
I ran across a classmate at the golf course this morning. It was awesome to catch up and talk about old times(Im not that old!).

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3489981
Seth you have written an extreme amount of knowledge on this site. I can not thank you enough for that. I heard it throughout all my mistakes in life but I have to learn the hard way. I still wouldnt call myself successful but my only bills are household and my truck but life is good and I have a few extra dollars I can spend on my hobbies.
JP- go to bed its late. LOL. The real world has lots of responsibility and bills, enjoy high school and learn all you can in school and about life. Reefraff probably learned how to use a magnet on the power meter. Seriously, high school will be something you will never forget.
I ran across a classmate at the golf course this morning. It was awesome to catch up and talk about old times(Im not that old!).
Thanks bud. Yeah, apparently we aren't doing too bad either. I mean, our bills are paid, we just bought a new car - we might be moving into a bigger place soon - and I still have a little money left over for my little hobbies as well. Traveler- Take this time in your life to really enjoy it. Understand that after high school is college - and then you really have to hunker down. Get your education in and stick with it, however, be happy that you don't have as much responsibility as your parents at this time.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3489897
When I was in high school you had to have a year of math to graduate. Did I take algabra or calculus? Hell no. Wouldn't know either if they up and bit me on the butt. What I took I forget what they called it but I'll tell you what I learned. How to balance a checkbook. How to read a utility meter. How compounding interest works. Stuff you actually use in the real world in your daily life. I think that should be required in every school in the nation.
The standards in our high school have gotten better in that respect. My youngest is a Senior this year. In order to gradudate, she has to have 3 years of English, 4 years of Science, 4 years of Math, 2 years history, and 1 year of Government. She's taken Algebra 1 and 2, Calculus, and this year she;'s taking Economics and Statistics. She's done Biology, Biology 2, Chemistry, and Physics.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3490002
The standards in our high school have gotten better in that respect. My youngest is a Senior this year. In order to gradudate, she has to have 3 years of English, 4 years of Science, 4 years of Math, 2 years history, and 1 year of Government. She's taken Algebra 1 and 2, Calculus, and this year she;'s taking Economics and Statistics. She's done Biology, Biology 2, Chemistry, and Physics.
I graduated (1977) at the low ebb. The following year they started increasing the requirements. We had to have 1 year math, 1 year of English, 3 years of Social Studies/History/government and 4 years of Physical Education, go figure. My brother didn't graduate because a few weeks before graduation he got his leg badly broken in a car wreck. He had messed up and cut PE enough during his last semester that he was going to have to make up for it in summer school to get a diploma. The car wreck messed up that plan.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3490028
I graduated (1977) at the low ebb. The following year they started increasing the requirements. We had to have 1 year math, 1 year of English, 3 years of Social Studies/History/government and 4 years of Physical Education, go figure. My brother didn't graduate because a few weeks before graduation he got his leg badly broken in a car wreck. He had messed up and cut PE enough during his last semester that he was going to have to make up for it in summer school to get a diploma. The car wreck messed up that plan.
I had to do summer school for gym because I cut class so often or I wouldn't have graduated on time...

Kinda funny considering I was in advanced placement courses for English, History and Science, so I was getting college credit in those classes while cutting gym...

reefraff

In my brother's case my mom tried to get them to waive the Gym requirement and they wouldn't. My brother didn't have what you'd call a good attendance record in any of his classes. His junior year I think it was one of his teachers told the class "We have a quiz every Thursday. Show up and pass that plus the final and you'll pass my class" My brother took him at his word, only went to class on Thursdays and passed the final and the Teacher passed him. My last year in High School they started awarding credits based on attendance. 5 credits a semester but for every 5 unexcused absences they deducted one credit. I had like 4 unexcused absences in every class but one I somehow got 5 but the teacher cut me a break and gave me all 5 credits. Could have had something to do with me telling him if I had to repeat a class it would be his LOL!

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/392778/high-school/20#post_3490036
In my brother's case my mom tried to get them to waive the Gym requirement and they wouldn't. My brother didn't have what you'd call a good attendance record in any of his classes. His junior year I think it was one of his teachers told the class "We have a quiz every Thursday. Show up and pass that plus the final and you'll pass my class" My brother took him at his word, only went to class on Thursdays and passed the final and the Teacher passed him. My last year in High School they started awarding credits based on attendance. 5 credits a semester but for every 5 unexcused absences they deducted one credit. I had like 4 unexcused absences in every class but one I somehow got 5 but the teacher cut me a break and gave me all 5 credits. Could have had something to do with me telling him if I had to repeat a class it would be his LOL!
LOL, I was just a dirtbag that would rather be outside smoking cigarettes (and other things) than going to gym. But, I was a smart dirtbag with college credits under my belt when i graduated!

snakeblitz33

I was the know-it-all brainy geek in high school. Straight A student, didn't have to study. I didn't wear the "right cloths". my friends were all computer and xbox gamers... I never drank alcohol or smoked. I was a member of the chess club. LOL Yes, I am a nerd.
On the flip side, I hunted and fished. I garden/farm, I love shooting guns at the target range. I am a taxidermist - so I deal with dead animals (and everything that comes with them) a lot, and I am pretty good at carpentry and finish work.I also have owned businesses in my past and have been in college for ...well... coming up on 7 years now.
Highschool is what you make of it. Don't try to be someone that you aren't.