High Temp Problems

aquaworld75

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with 260 watt PC lighting an overflow box with 20 gallon sump below the main tank. In the sump I have a Hyperflow 1000 Skimmer with a Rio 2100 pump supplying water to the skimmer and a Hyperflow 26H pump as the return pump.
My temp does not even register on my two stick on thermometers (one on main tank and one on sump)
The highest number is 84 so it is above that.
Main tank is completely covered and sump is partially covered.
Any suggestions??

I

irenicus

Do you have a reliable heater?
What is the temp in your house?
If it's an environmental (in your house) you may need a chiller or turn on the AC.
I doubt it's an equipment issue other than your heater.
I'd get that fixed asap though... that temp can be deadly.

fishfishkc

If you have glass tops on your tank you may want to take them off and get some eggcrate grating for the top of the tank. I had heat issues in my tank and once I removed the glass and switched to the eggcrate my temp dropped 3-4 degrees. Its also sturdy enough to support my PC lights. You can find it at Home Depot and its pretty cheap ($10 for a 2x4 sheet).
I would also make sure the heater is working properly as well.
If those 2 bits of info dont work then it may be time to consider a chiller.

aquaworld75

I have a Pro Heat Titanium 350 watt heater.
I have had it unplugged for the last month since the temp does not decrease at all during the night ( so I figured it would be okay since the temp would not fluctuate).
The temp in the house is 78.
All I know is that is all started getting hotter when I added the Skimmer and the new return pump. Both pumps feel hot when under water.
Thanks for your help

aquaworld75

Did you observe an increase in water evaporation with the egg crate??
My mom complains about moisture in the house and how the AC has to work harder
thanks again

msd2

well you will get an increase in evaporation w/the egg crate material.the exposure/agitation with the air is how it is releasing the energy, well kinda (too much detail to go into). The only way to not increase evaporation and cool the tank would be to get a chiller. You also mentioned an internal pump. An external would run cooler, my experience is 1-2 degrees. I would also find out exactly how hot is the tank. I have heard people running the tank as hot as 86 w/o any problems.

aquaworld75

thanks for all the info I put a mercury style thermo. in the tank and it reads about 87-88 at 9:20pm ( 4 hours after lights off)
I am going to try and see if putting my 260 watt PC light on little stands helps.
Then I will try the egg crate

steven's un

I had similar heat problems and my rio pump eneded up being the cause. Just turn it off for the night and see if the temp drops. If it does, you can just get a new pump