hippo tang behaviour

bab

Im interested in hippo tangs, all the ones i have seen in stores have a strange behaviour, where the tang lies sidewards most of the time under rock, bobbing in and out from underneath and sometimes just lying.. does the hippo tang like to hide? is this normal behavior as i have seen similar behaviour on more than a few occasions??

sgt__york

OH YES... VERY typical behavior... lol
Blue hippo is a GREAT fish tho.. keep in mind... at ur LFS he's likely not been there long and is thus slightly stressed... he is in a crowded community as compared to ur home tank.. and has TONS of ppl going by him all the time.
Their PROTECTIVE/DEFENSIVE behavior AND their "NORMAL" SLEEPING behavior is to lay down sideways against or underneath a rock. They will often do this when you first take them home a lot for a few days until they get situated in their new environment.
HOWEVER, once they acclimate to ur new tank - they often swim in the open - showing off their unmatched color and markings. They are VERY dosile and friendly (sometimes a bit skittish) but usually not a true hidder.
I use to have mine come and eat from my hand during feedings. They also eat green leafy veg's like spinach and romaine lettuce. Will graze on it most of the day.
I had one for 3yrs in my old tank. It was the FIRST FISH i bought, now that i've got my new tank cycled. My personal favorite - next to the overly friendly percula clowns :)
Good luck to ya..
PS: Some ppl will say they are 'ich' magnets - i never had such trouble with mine - that will depend on yuo keeping your water quality good. Hoewver, if you get a CLEANER SHRIMP - he will help keep your fish doctored up for this as well :)

bab

thanks for the help.. ive always been interested in the hippo tang but all the things i read and hear about how they are so susceptable to ich has made hesitant to buy one... i wouldn't think im at the stage that i would be able to treat a bad case of ich without everything dying so i might leave the tangs for more experienced that can keep the fish happy and healthy that alot of people on this board seem to forget at times, as hard as it can be to leave beautiful fish at fs.

sgt__york

It's your call - but your tank is what YOU are going to look at hour hours and enjoy. It's a labor of love. Don't let 'fear' stop ya - IMHO, the blue hippo isn't as bad as you may be thinking.
I just bought a juvenile on sunday (only about 1.5" long) and he's doing fine. Still hiding, but finally today is starting to come out into the open and swim a bit more... began eating off the rock a touch.
I'm going to go get a CLEANER SHRIMP tomorrow. They help with ICH. Hippo's love to go lay sideways in front of Cleaners and let them eat any parasites off their body and gills. Although I wouldn't wish ich on any fish (except a damsel), it's a wonderful relatioship to watch them together.
If you enjoy the blue hippo - go for it! What i did to help me decide which one i was getting - look for the fewest pores-like coloration under their eyes. Look for them to have nice body color and be as plump as possible (as one already skeleton thin is likely stressed out, hasn't eaten much - and may not eat for a few days MORE once you get them home anyways). Also, let the LFS catch 2 or 3 of them and watch which one seems to RECOOP fastest (ie, their rapid gil breathing slows down - and they don't go ape against the sides of the container for long). This fish will likely have the best balance, and be very likely to make the transition to your tank best.
Make sure you acclimate them slowly. What i do is let the bag float on the top of the aquarium about 30mins - then add about a 3/4 cup of my tank water into his bag - then let him sit another 30mins. I continue this until i've doubled the original water volume. Then I release them, and let em go find a rock to hide under. :)
Remember, whatever fish you choose, you will likely enjoy for YEARS to come - so get the one YOU want. I had a larger hippo in my first tank - had him about 3yrs or so. VERY RARELY did I ever have ich problems - and the 1 or 2 times i did - the cleaner shrimp (doc) took care of him. He was never a problem. Got so friendly that he'd come eat out of my hand.
Hippo's one of my favorite fishes - so you won't find me saying much bad about them - or discouraging anyone from taking one home - especially due to fear of success.
Wishing you and whatevre fish you choose, the best of luck.

bab

thanks for the help sg_, you've convinced me to try the tang in my aquarium, :D because it is one of my favourite fish.. although i wouldn't think introducing a cleaner shrimp would be effective as i dont have much live rock, would this be able to survive? what else to they eat?

B

bcarp

Quick question for Sgt__York. I heard cleaner shrimp couldn't help get rid of ick on a fish. Actually I read it on here. So who is right? I would like to buy a cleaner shrimp if this is true.

sgt__york

BABS - good luck with your tang - As I said, I love the hippos. They can be a little skittish until they get use to all the movement of ppl around the tank - and they stress a little on transportation - but are very beautiful, have great coloring, are not that expensive - and can really stay healthy once you get them acclimated and stable.
Regarding live rock - not much "BAD" can be said about Live Rock! Whether you have a fish only tank OR coral tank - whether you haev crushed coral or a sand bed - whether you have a wet/dry OR just a sump - LIVE ROCK is nothing but excellent for a tank!!
It acts as a great filter that is in your tank at all times (doesn't depend on water being cycled out to reach ur wet/dry); it introduces all kinds of life; it supports algae growth that help w/nitrates AND give your fish something to eat on!! And tangs are veggetarians - love to graze on algae!
I would DEFINATELY start looking at the some live rock - HOWEVER since you already have some fish - make SURE it's "CURED" and add it slowly - 1 or 2 pieces at a time - no more than maybe 15lbs at a time.
ALSO.. the hippo (and other fish) need hiding places and caverns to swim around. Just can't say enough positive about live rock. The ONLY CAUTION - is make sure you don't keep your lights on for too long (over 12hrs) or you can create algae blooms. But I would definately begin to think about adding Live Rock!
BCARP:
REGRADING CLEANERS (shrimp or wrass) they have an amazing relationship with other fish - they eat parasites, bacteria, etc off of other fish. Many fish (especially the hippo tang) will even seek them out and lay themselves out in front of the cleaner to let them eat off of their bodies. (sounds kinky eh? lol)
As far as "CURING" ick - i agree, they probably can NOT do that. I beleive it's more of a preventative that a cure. Fact is, ALL fish have ick - just as all humans have bacteria and viruses in our bodies. It is only when you have an outbreak of their production that overwhelmes your immune system that you 'get sick' -- or for a fish "gets ick". The key is to help maintain good water conditions, and reduce fish stress - AND the cleaners help this with their cleaning rituals.
HOWEVER, if a fish gets ful blown ick - I doubt the cleaner will do much more than have a good food supply, and slow the process down for the fish. It will 'likely' take medicating (and of course fixing whatever the cause was). Most fish that get ick begin scratching their bodies against rocks and surfaces they can find.
In the 3yrs or so I had my hippo in the past he got ick 2x that i can remember. I did nothing, as i just monitored them and gave the shrimp (AND Cleaner WRASS i had) time to do their job - and he eventually got better in a few days. I personally hate to medicate my tank - and didn't have a hospital tank setup - although I would have done so at the risk of losing my fish.
Now, just because MY EXPERIENCE was that the cleaners helped ick on my hippo is NOT a statement to say it's a cure - more than likely, it was just a mild case with a healthy established fish that the cleaners were able to combate it aggressively enough BEFORE the ick outbreak really took over the fish.
All that said tho, I just like the shrimp, and watching the two interact with one another. The cleaner shrimp, LOVES to be on rock "upside down" a lot. so you would definately need some rock, and preferably enough to have a cave so he could walk around upside down ;)
Best of luck to you :)

sgt__york

Anthem,
I stand corrected. I am going off old info I read about 7yrs ago when i first entered the hobby and explainations by LFS. It was my understanding that "ich" was a dormant type of parasite that can become active.
When you mentioned "Cryptocaryon" it got me wondering, because I always associated "ich" with "Amyloodinium" from my early readings. You got me really questioning myself - and i'm glad you did. I love learning, and not too proud to admit i'm wrong here.
It "SEEMS" that ich is a bit of a broad term for numerous parasitican infections that fish can get.
For anyone wanting to know I found these 2 articles on the ones mentioned above:
Cryptocaryon" (they also refer to Oodinum - not sure if this is another name or variety of ich)
http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dyn...2Fsaltich.html
Amyloodinium (ths is what my old marine handbook referred to as 'ich')
http://www.vin.com/PetCare/Articles/Fish/PCF00522.htm
**Note: They sound quite similar in symptoms, and cure.

sgt__york

FORTUNATELY, i havn't had to deal with a lot of the diseases - hope that continues! lol My ole trusted marine handbook is a bit old - but I figure I can likely use online search sources just as effectively.
What had me first searching for marine "ich" was my blue hippo began scratching on the rock and breathing heavy. My LFS (sight unseen) diagnosed it as ich. I had a cleaner wrass at the time, and at that time introduced a cleaner shrimp (likly the LFS just making money on me back then). I never did see a yellow dusting OR any white flakes. The hippo went straight for the shrimp tho, and it began picking off it's gills. It got the point the hippo was harrassing the shrimp about it. After a few days, the hippo stopped scratching and things went back to normal. That happened 2x in the 3-3.5yrs i had that group.
Guess i can't say what they had OR it might have been so mild, it was able to be taken care of before several cycles of the parasites reproducing.
I tend to research things AS i need the info. Let's hope I never have to do any more research on fish diseases than you just had me do :) hahahaha
Thanks for the info :)

bab

I have been worried before about being able to mantain the health of a hippo tang, just a conversation about them ends up in a heated discussion about ich, or should i say marine ich.. i think im going to be very nerous for a while when the hippo eventually comes home with me :) thanks for all your help anyway

sgt__york

Babs, i think everyone stresses over the unknown. And there are tons of 'horror' stories on almost any species. If you have read much of my other stuff - i've never had crabs before, and was very concerned about a 'sally lightfoot' crab - if he would hurt future corals; kill my snails; worse yet - attack my blue hippo that is small and lays under rocks as night; etc...
As i inquired - i got some horror stories - "he may eat small fish"; "they may eat polyp corals (i had just ordered 2 of them)"; "they may go after other hermit crabs"; etc.....
Get all the info you can, and make ur best guess.. there is a proverb - 'there is safety in a multitude of council'. The more ppl that responded, i began to feel the sally was 'normally' not that aggressive. The horror stories are the 'exception' than the rule.
As it turned out - he is fine. Heck, the hippo even tried to treat the crab like a cleaner shrimp and layed down in front of him. As i've observed him, it's a real nice addition to the tank.
If you like the hippo - give it a try and set your mind at ease. Your not the only person with a hippo at home - and there is a lot more succes with them than failures i would assume. Granted, they are not as hearty as damsels or clowns - but they are not the most fragile fish in the ocean either.
You will do fine. Pick him out carefully; stress him as little as possible; take your time acclimating him; and you may find (as most of us do) ya worried over nothing ;)
I sincerely hope everything goes fine and you enjoy your prize fish :) I look forward to hearing all is fine :)

sgt__york

Sammy,
I think you exaggerate my point of "fear". Several posts above were to 'encourage' a hobbyist not accuse them of living in fear. I dramatize and exxagerate for purposes of humor, not sincerity of fellow hobbyst encouragement. Furthermore, I think a 'concern' is a sign of a caring and responsible hobbyst - as opposed to someone who just acts wrecklessly with no conern or forthought at all. Yet, i don't think this 'concern' should necessarily be a tool to frighten someone away from expanding their experiences thus MAKING them a more experienced hobbyst.
In my humble opinion, Fish are not NEARLY as complicated as corals. They are much more forgiving and have a much higher tolerance for imbalances. Hippos 'can' get ick - and if they do so much that it becomes intolerable - perhaps the tank needs to be medicated (especially before it's loaded with corals and other fish) and/or the hippo returned to the LFS if keeping a hippo becomes more pain than pleasure. I have simply never found that to be the case. I've never had to medicate my tank - and never had an ick outbreak so bad that i saw 'white spots' on the fish - and I had mine for 3yrs. I had an Achilees tang as well for nearly that long without a single problem of any kind - yet there are so many horror stories out there about them being so fragile as well.
This is NOT to say i'm more experienced or know more -- FAR FROM IT - i'll be the first to say i'm overwhemed at times with how much i do NOT know - that's why you see me asking questions a lot. I'm just not one to shy away from what stretches you a little.
I'm personally try'n to learn more about corals - but there are many i would not touch right now because i'm just too ignorant of their needs. There are others i'm still 'nervous' about, but ready to try.
Everything i've seen/read about Bab - I bet she could handle a hippo. If it gets ick - I bet she can handle it also and will find herself growing in the hobby with such experience. And Lord forbid - if the fish dies - I wouldn't compare that to such irresponsibility and uncaring as just "stepping on it."
It has been said, that for those with an open mind and willing to learn - we often learn more through our mistakes than our successes. That doesn't mean we don't learn from other's mistakes as well - that's wisdom - but to sit on the bench and not 'become' an experienced hobbyist has no reward in my opinion.
All success comes from action - and all action comes with some risk. That risk is further minimized through education not avoidance.
Just my outlook on life and the hobby.

sgt__york

What more education is needed on a hippo??? LOL In the hobby, there is always much to learn - but as it pertains to the hippo tang - what more do you think she needs to know? She knows water parameters; what they eat; how to select and acclimate one; how to recognize ick; that cleaners can assist in destressing them; and there are plenty of ppl here and info on ick's treatment as well (even a thread on it earlier). I'm not sure that keeping a damsel or clown alive for a year gives one any more 'knowledge' on how to keep a hippo *shrug* but that's just my view. There comes a time, when ya put the book down and put it into action - and go get one :) She just sounded like she really would enjoy one above others - has inquired and done the research - does seem "to me" she needs any more knowledge - just encouragement. But I may be wrong.
Hey, how about dem packers this year?? :rolleyes: hehehe :)

sgt__york

Originally posted by sgt__york
If it gets ick - I bet she can handle it also and will find herself growing in the hobby with such experience.

Don't think getting ick = failure or cause for 'i told ya so' LOL. Lord forbid if the fish dies, I don't think it is either. There have been experienced hobbyst that have lost a damsel - and beginners who have kept Achilles tangs fine.
As you said it's her choice - but i'll always be one to promote and encourage a 'you can do it' responce if it's obvious they are putting in the research time, have the equipment to care for it and showing genuine desire and concern - not wreckless abandonment. :)
As said, just my outlook on life. Most ppl can do far more than they ever think they can :cool:

bab

thanks for all the help and errr... encouragement? :( Seriously though where not in competition for anything here, just have a common hobby (or what my parents like to refer to as a an obsession)...appreciate all the help, I'll let you know how the tank is going and the tang when/if he comes..
P.s. I brought my first fish this morning, a pair of false perc clowns.. there the cutest :D i

sgt__york

an obsession? what?? i can quit anytime...
*runs out and buys another snail*
WHAT? :p
LOL.. congrat's on ur fish bab - perc's are the best aren't they? :D

bab

ha, :) well its been a bit nerve racking at first watching them, almost as if there fighting but i think they've settle down a bbit and begun the accept each other...
sammy: no offense taken, thanks for all the help
:)