Hippo Tang lying on it's side

precator

I just got a new hippo tang and it always lies in caves in my live rock all the time.
I have had it for the last week and the behavior is still the same. I now it's alive
because when i move the rock he swims out. This is my first saltwater tank. If someone could tell me is something is wrong that would be great.
gregor

mr . salty

First,since you didn't say,I trust your water levals test out ok. Is your tank overpopulated? The fish might not be used to too much activity. If he looks ok I wouldn't worry too much.Some fish take awhile to adjust to a new enviroment. Keep a close eye on him,and make sure he's eating. I've got an emperor angel that also lies on his side in the rocks.This is not nessicarily abnormal behavior. GOOD LUCK. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 07-25-2000).]

precator

water levels are fine. Although the water temperature is around 83 degrees.
Originally posted by MR . SALTY:
First,since you didn't say,I trust your water levals test out ok. Is your tank overpopulated? The fish might not be used to too much activity. If he looks ok I wouldn't worry too much.Some fish take awhile to adjust to a new enviroment. Keep a close eye on him,and make sure he's eating. I've got an emperor angel that also lies on his side in the rocks.This is not nessicarily abnormal behavior. GOOD LUCK. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 07-25-2000).]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is this fish eating? Have you observed him being harrassed by other fish? Even when the lights are out.
You should provide a bit more infor about what is going on, as well as what other types of fish you have in your tank.

precator

I have not seen him eat. I have a reef setup. I was told he would eat off the reef just fine. I also have 2 damsels, an emerald crab and a snail
Originally posted by beth:
Is this fish eating? Have you observed him being harrassed by other fish? Even when the lights are out.
You should provide a bit more infor about what is going on, as well as what other types of fish you have in your tank.

tjswanson

This certain tang doesn't act like normal tangs. The hippo acts that way naturally. Like other people said if he eats and looks fine he should be ok.

If it looks as though it is not breathing rapidly, then it will be fine, if he is breathing very hard, you probably have a problem. I hope everything is alright!!!
~~Megan

precator

hey everyone
all of a sudden my hippo tang is fine
I think he was just really shy. He will come out if no one is by the tank now. But as soon as someone walks buy the tanks he gets scared and hides. Maybe he will get accustomed.
Greg
Originally posted by Purplepuffer:
If it looks as though it is not breathing rapidly, then it will be fine, if he is breathing very hard, you probably have a problem. I hope everything is alright!!!
~~Megan