hippo tang or foxface im torn!!!!!!!!

lucky1967

i havent had my tank very long but i do have a volitan lion ,mandrin goby, 3 damsels, and a yellow tang. i really like the hippo tang and the foxface, but a lfs told me only 1 tang to a tank is this
right , im confused!!!! please help!!!1

madman133

Yes normally only one tang. What size tank is it? The lion may eventually get hungry also and decide to have a little snack.

lucky1967

i would just die if the lion ate one of them he is eating rosy reds right now and i dont think he will eat the othetresh

lucky1967

i would just die if the lion ate one of them he is eating rosy reds right now and i dont think he will eat the other fish or at least i hope he wont. my tank is a 55 gal. I used to have one set up about 7 yrs ago but i moved and tore it down

jumpfrog

In my humble opinion you're done. The lion will get much larger as will the tang. Both a hippo or a foxface will get big in time.
If it was me I wouldn't add either.
As a once famous board member once said though: "Your tank, your choice."
Good Luck!

robpsca

Originally Posted by jumpfrog
In my humble opinion you're done. The lion will get much larger as will the tang. Both a hippo or a foxface will get big in time.
Good Luck!
sorry to bust in on the thread but i wanted to say. Jumpfrog. I appreciate your words. in every post ive seen you respond its been informational,polite and very fluid. were new to this site and love the info and knowledge from yall we will be a part of the community for many years to come and because of you and the other experienced members we will enjoy it more.. thanks again

unleashed

Originally Posted by jumpfrog
Good Luck!
as for the foxafce or the hippo and lion compatabilty is not an issue unless you plan on buying tiny ones unfortunatly both species require larger housing the foxface needs min of 90 and the tangs 100 + I keep a bicolored focface with a large vol in my 125 and a med hippo with a lion in my 300 moved from 100 gal.as a normal of mixing tangs.your yellow tang is of the sailfin family and the hippo is of the surgeon both normally mix ok together its adding 1 more of the same family thats creates issues unless you house 3 or more of like species then they tand to school together in a larger system.if surroundings are too small they will fight.as for the foxface he has a better survival rate with a lion due to it also having venomous spines.if by chance your lion does get a bite of them he too will die.

danedodger

1) What they told you about mixing tangs is partially true. It's true that tangs don't tend to like each other and may fight but if done correctly (i.e., putting the less aggressive types in first or everyone at the same time, moving the rocks around when you add the next, etc.) it can be done. You have the best chance of success if the tangs don't look alike. But I'm afraid I come down on the same side as others here, you're about maxed out on fish already.
2) What is the mandarin eating? They require a mature tank (and you said yours is pretty new) with loads of liverock or they will usually starve to death slowly.
3) Wean your lionfish off of freshwater feeders right away! It's common to feed saltwater fish rosys or small comets and it doesn't SEEM to harm them until years down the road. Feeding freshwater fish to a saltwater fish causes deposits on the liver and is a good way to introduce illnesses to your whole tank or various parasites to your lion. He would do better eating thawed out frozen chunks of seafood such as krill, clam, fish meat, etc.

N

nereef

3) Wean your lionfish off of freshwater feeders right away! It's common to feed saltwater fish rosys or small comets and it doesn't SEEM to harm them until years down the road. Feeding freshwater fish to a saltwater fish causes deposits on the liver and is a good way to introduce illnesses to your whole tank or various parasites to your lion. He would do better eating thawed out frozen chunks of seafood such as krill, clam, fish meat, etc.
I've heard and read this before. Any idea what the problem is? What causes the deposits?

danedodger

Here's just a few problems with feeder fish that I can readily find:
1. "Some types of feeders (certain minnows, for example) have high fat content that leads to unattractively obese and poorly colored specimens. Others, such as goldfish, have large, hard-to-digest scales, which can obstruct proper digestion, leading to illness and death."
2. The disease factor already mentioned. Feeders are usually not kept by best practices because they are a mass produced, cheap product that few care about so the risk of disease is much higher in feeders than in your average LFS tanks.
3. If you tank is already filled to capacity the addition of a load of feeders can consume needed oxygen and excrete ammonia in huge amounts leading to a tank crash.
4. Bringing out the predatory nature of fish such as this lion by feeding them live fish may make it more likely that the fish will attack tankmates in time.
5. Many predatory fish seem to almost get "addicted" to feeders and will start to refuse to eat other foods until carefully weaned back onto them. Feeder fish alone do not make up a complete and balanced diet so the fish suffers from improper nutrition.
6. I believe the fat problem in feeding feeders is just that the fats and oils in freshwater fish are different from those of saltwater fish.

danedodger

thanks DaneDodger. what about "yourself raised guppies?"
You know, we've (my sweetie and I) wondered about that too. Our (very UNresearched at this point) thought is that if you slowly convert your guppies over to salt water they may make good feeders for saltwater fish. Even if it's a good idea though it's still not a nutritionally complete and balanced diet so you'd have to supplement too.
Anyone know if this is so or not?

lucky1967

:hilarious i had no idea that the liver could be affected by feeding the lion rosies. Well i say im stupid due to the fact that i got up this morning to a dead lion. He was stuck to my pump, but also my heater was cloudy and my water was 85 degrees. wow. I think it cracked,or just plain blew up, it looks funny. so gonna buy a new heater, now im really torn about getting a new lion,if i do frozem food only for him.thank you all for the great info, it helps me so much. my tank is 3 months old and all the others are doing great!!!!

sw65galma

Another thing to keep in mind is that a tank is not really mature enough for all the stuff you had...
3 months in SW time is like 1 yr in Freshwater time...
6-1yr is when your tank really starts to mature and be able to handle nice fish...
Patience is the key to this hobby. Freshwater is nothing like Saltwater.
I believe you should wait a few months before adding anything else...