Hippo Tang?

spmnarciso

What are my chances of introducing a Hippo Tang, now at this time, without having ick issues or conflict with my other occupants?
Occupants:
Yellow Tang
4 - Chromis
sixline wrasse
true percula
false percula
shrimp goby
Tank Specs:
150G LPS/SPS reef
300 lbs. LR
I'm thinking of getting one the size of a quarter. Tiny!

razoreqx

Originally posted by spmnarciso
What are my chances of introducing a Hippo Tang, now at this time, without having ick issues or conflict with my other occupants?
Occupants:
Yellow Tang
4 - Chromis
sixline wrasse
true percula
false percula
shrimp goby
Tank Specs:
150G LPS/SPS reef
300 lbs. LR
I'm thinking of getting one the size of a quarter. Tiny!

The yellow tang might fight with the new tang. How long have you had the yellow tang in that display?

spinner

If I were to add one, I'd try to get one similar in size to the yellow tang. Also, I'd rearrange rock to create some new "territories" to prevent the yellow from chasing the hippo all over.
Spinner

golfish

Generally and IME, tangs will only bother tangs of the same shape..The Hippo is probably my favorite fish. I always add the smallest one I can find only because they seem to be healthier and the color is so much better.

spmnarciso

Originally posted by RazorEQX
The yellow tang might fight with the new tang. How long have you had the yellow tang in that display?

The Yellow Tang has been in there fromthe beginning...7 months.

razoreqx

Originally posted by spmnarciso
The Yellow Tang has been in there fromthe beginning...7 months.

My yellow tang is about that old as well. He owns the display hes in and did bully my new Hippo I ordered a few weeks ago. The hippo is a tough little guy though and is still doing fine.
I also tried to add a banded tang a while ago. It was much the same shap and size of the yellow tang. The banded tang had to be removed as their fights became very violent.
Jim

fishman830

i had my hippo in the tank well before my yellow tang, their probably about the same size, just different shapesi also have a sailfin tang, no conflicts with any of them

spmnarciso

Whats the deal with ick...I know they are prone to getting it, but is it something where they either have or they don't and its not something that can just happen just like that. I know its bad practice to do, but I do not quarantine my fish. I get them locally and inspect fish thoroughly for illnesses, behavior, and eating habits before buying them and till this point I have not had any problems. This place I plan on getting him from is a local wholesale distributor who has tons of beautiful small hippos isolated in packs.