hippocampus zosterae/ dwarf sea horse

angel eyes

I would love to hear from anyone with experience in reguard to sea horses. I am interested in starting a sea pony only aquarium (20 gal) with a 10 gal aquarium dedicated to raising brine shrimp for food. Unfortunately, I have just moved into a new town and cannot find a knowledgeable pet shop/aquarist. I have also read that mollies make excellent food for the larger species of sea horses...can mollies be switched to saltwater? Is it difficult? Hopefully, this first attempt will be successful. thanks to anyone who can share pearls of wisdom. :)

otto13

just consider mollies as saltwater fish. they flurish in a saltwater or freshwater environment. try ghost shrimp and brine as live food sources. i am working on my first seahorse right now.

angel eyes

Originally posted by otto13:
just consider mollies as saltwater fish. they flurish in a saltwater or freshwater environment. try ghost shrimp and brine as live food sources. i am working on my first seahorse right now.

I can't resist. your name otto. you wouldn't happen to be a trekie too. I love star wars, star trek, deep space nine. okay, you get the idea.

davey

I am on my first seahorse also and I have had nothing but good luck so far!! He was half dead when I got him and is very healthy now! I hope you have the same luck,they are very cool to watch!!

clayton

Hi Angel, I have had a little experience with sea horses. A very low level of water movement is essential. There should also be a constant supply of live food in the tank. Their diet should be varied as exclusively feeding brineshrimp may lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Sea horses are sensitive animals and so they should only be introduced when a tank is fully matured.
A good growth of plant such as Caulerpa will make them feel at home and help keep the water clean.
I hope this helps, good luck and may the fish be with you!

angel eyes

Originally posted by Davey:
I am on my first seahorse also and I have had nothing but good luck so far!! He was half dead when I got him and is very healthy now! I hope you have the same luck,they are very cool to watch!!

which species of seahorse do you have? and what does it eat? p.s. thanks for the response.

davey

I have no idea what species he is.He is about 3 inches in length and is black.Eats nothing but baby guppies

otto13

hey, check out the web site they posted on my seahorse subject. i am going to get the brine feeder. my new seahorses are doing good.

angel eyes

hey, check out the web site they posted on my seahorse subject. i am going to get the brine feeder. my new seahorses are doing good.

what's the address to the web site?

angel eyes

Originally posted by angel eyes:

I found it.Wow!! What a cool site! I am going to purchase my brine shrimp eggs from it instead of the pet store.

angel eyes

Originally posted by angel eyes:

I found it.Wow!! What a cool site! I am going to purchase my brine shrimp eggs from it instead of the pet store.

angel eyes

Originally posted by clayton:
Hi Angel, I have had a little experience with sea horses. A very low level of water movement is essential. There should also be a constant supply of live food in the tank. Their diet should be varied as exclusively feeding brineshrimp may lead to nutritional deficiencies.
Sea horses are sensitive animals and so they should only be introduced when a tank is fully matured.
A good growth of plant such as Caulerpa will make them feel at home and help keep the water clean.
I hope this helps, good luck and may the fish be with you!

Thanks for the tip, Clayton ! Quick ? Caulerpa what is it? I research the books I have and can't find anything on it. Haven't been able to make it to the library yet...most of my resources are on setting up the aquarium and the fish to keep.

mr . salty

Angel eyes, I belive CAULERPA is a leafy type of macro algae. Tangs and other veggie eaters love it. Nice to meet you too. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 06-16-2000).]

angel eyes

well, i have ordered my brine shrimp eggs and should start hatching this week hopefully, i have to run out a get a heater though, i read 80degrees F is best for hatching and i keep my house very cool. c/a!
Originally posted by MR . SALTY:
Angel eyes, I belive CAULERPA is a leafy type of macro algae. Tangs and other veggie eaters love it. Nice to meet you too. STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 06-16-2000).]

clayton

Steves right, Caulerpa is a leafy or feathery algae, most of them are bright green. The easiest ones to keep are Caulerpa sertularioides and Caulerpa prolifera (just in case you get to the library). Keep searching for this stuff - if you get it to grow you wont regret it!