hitchhicker stung me~!!!

24aqua

i bought some lr and when i turned my lights off i seen the worm looking thing with lots of legs about 2 inches and i went to grab with my hand and i started to feel a buncgh of splinters went to the bathroom to look better and i had about 10 1/8 inch splinters. anyone hear of this b-4 i was resdy to tear apart my tank to get that $#$.!* :mad:

T

thomas712

Sounds like you got stung by a bristleworm. Best to just leave him alone.

T

thomas712

First of all a bit of First Aid advice.
Bristleworm Sting Treatment
Treatment for a bristleworm bite or sting includes the following:
Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.
Remove bristles with tweezers or adhesive tape.
If severe inflammation and a continual burning sensation develop, apply hydrocortisone cream 3 times per day.
If signs of infection are present, such as pus, redness, or heat, apply topical antibiotic ointment.
Oral antibiotics are usually recommended to prevent infection. If infection develops, continue antibiotics for at least 5 days after all signs of infection have cleared. Check for drug allergy prior to starting any antibiotic. A doctor will recommend the right antibiotic. Some antibiotics can cause sensitivity to the sun, so use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15).
Pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.
Second, I have many bristle worms in my tank and have no wish to kill them. they are part of a healthy cleanup crew. Leave them alone.

24aqua

didnt know they were ok,thought that if it stung me like that what could it do to my fish and corals

michaeltx

it was defending its home you were the invader into its world. other than that like said above the are good critters to have.
Mike

J

jesses89

If it hurt that much and you want it gone....
Get a six line wrasse.....
very pretty fish.. easy to take care of.. and their fav food = bristle worms

poniegirl

Cleaning my tank Sat nite, had the same experience (though it's happened before). Gloves to handle the LR is a good way to avoid the problem, if you are smarter than me!
Wrasse are fabulous to control the bristleworm population and they are pleasant fish. There will always be larger worms that even the wrasse won't mess with, and that's a good thing, IMO.
They are great tank cleaners and won't hurt anything that is alive. (Besides an unsuspecting finger)

jemshores

Originally Posted by Thomas712
http:///forum/post/1827933
First of all a bit of First Aid advice.
Bristleworm Sting Treatment
Treatment for a bristleworm bite or sting includes the following:
Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.
Remove bristles with tweezers or adhesive tape.
If severe inflammation and a continual burning sensation develop, apply hydrocortisone cream 3 times per day.
If signs of infection are present, such as pus, redness, or heat, apply topical antibiotic ointment.
Oral antibiotics are usually recommended to prevent infection. If infection develops, continue antibiotics for at least 5 days after all signs of infection have cleared. Check for drug allergy prior to starting any antibiotic. A doctor will recommend the right antibiotic. Some antibiotics can cause sensitivity to the sun, so use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15).
Pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.
Second, I have many bristle worms in my tank and have no wish to kill them. they are part of a healthy cleanup crew. Leave them alone.
Sorry to revive this thread, but how long does this pain last? I got bit last Friday and 2 fingers were hit. I saw the bristles but was so busy re-aquascaping that I thought I would deal with it when I was done. NOW,
I have these little tiny raised dots, my joints in those fingers are so painful, as is the whole wrist and I am on pain mangement (pretty heavy duty stuff) and it keep getting worse every day. There are no open lesions so I am not taking antibiotics. Just wondered, how long before this goes away? BTW I asked my doc and his response was "I never heard of those things....don't put your hands in the tank anymore'! LOL Well that's fine but this pain is horrible.....so....SW people....wear gloves! Thanks for listening!

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by jemshores
http:///forum/post/3236364
Sorry to revive this thread, but how long does this pain last? I got bit last Friday and 2 fingers were hit. I saw the bristles but was so busy re-aquascaping that I thought I would deal with it when I was done. NOW,
I have these little tiny raised dots, my joints in those fingers are so painful, as is the whole wrist and I am on pain mangement (pretty heavy duty stuff) and it keep getting worse every day. There are no open lesions so I am not taking antibiotics. Just wondered, how long before this goes away? BTW I asked my doc and his response was "I never heard of those things....don't put your hands in the tank anymore'! LOL Well that's fine but this pain is horrible.....so....SW people....wear gloves! Thanks for listening!
LMAO, way to help out doc!

jemshores

Thanks J....I know, their answer for everything nowadays is "live with it"! Seriously though, do anyone have a timeline as to when this pain will dissipate, some? I mean I have had 2 surgeries, both involving amputations, and HTG that hand hurts way less then the bristle worm hand. I am on"worm" hand.....and its Saturday....tank maintenance day...(sigh)

scotts

Jem Not sure if this will help. I just remember one of the people here is a doc and wrote up a first aid thread. Here

jemshores

Day 12 and just a bit of relief....bought a package of gloves and will use them!!! I saw those "hairs" and thought I could get them later but stupid me. Will look up bobbit worm but pretty sure it was a bristle. Also thanx for the med link, great info there. I guess I am just still in disbelief that after all I have been thru with my left hand, that a stinkin worm could inflict such trauma on my other good one. The heat and swelling is unreal...so please wear protection when going in!!! (sounds like a commercial for safe **x) LOL

cranberry

Bobbit worms don't leave bristles.
To remove bristles, just stick your finger in a container of vinegar for a couple of minutes. There won't be a need to tweeze them out manually.