Hitchhiker ID...its bad

bigpete

ok so i found 2 of these in my tank...im pretty sure they are the cause of my zoos acting weird/stressed. i took them out, the only ones i could find, and flushed em. can anyone give me any information on these guys, how to get rid of them, and will my zoos recover? the damage is nothing serious, just some zoos are partially closed, most of them look fine. i only found 2 SO FAR...there may be more...maybe not. any help would be appreciated. :help:

bronco300

they are no good for zoos, i know that...butg if they are gone,the rest of your zoos should be fine...do a fine thread search for more if you can

bonebrake

That is definitely the zoanthid nudibranch. Take out your zoanthid rocks and really check them out with a bright light and magnifying glass if necessary.

bonebrake

P.S. - I bought a 36 watt true actinic 03 36 watt straight pin this morning for my nano cube Big Pete! I will be sure to post a full tank shot before and after whenever I get it.

bigpete

awesome! yea post it up later. thanks for the advice, i already took out all my frags and they seem clean. lucky for me i found one of them on the glass and one was in plain sight on one of my polyps. im stoked to see how it looks, your tank that is. do it on a seperate post though so you can take all the credit!

lemonpeel2

Can't those things kill you? I was reading a thread on here, about like two years. Where ones of those things sent a guy to the hospital.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by bigpete
awesome! yea post it up later. thanks for the advice, i already took out all my frags and they seem clean. lucky for me i found one of them on the glass and one was in plain sight on one of my polyps. im stoked to see how it looks, your tank that is. do it on a seperate post though so you can take all the credit!
Yeah I'll do a new post. I got to get my tank cleaned up first. I have about fifteen fire and ice zoanthid frags and eight pulsing xenia frags to sell to the LFS. It looks pretty rough right now.
I am glad to hear you got rid of the little buggers! Keep your eyes peeled for more in case they laid eggs.
:joy:

I

ipinch

I'm new to all this. Were to those creepy things come from? Is there a way to prevent them?

bigpete

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Yeah I'll do a new post. I got to get my tank cleaned up first. I have about fifteen fire and ice zoanthid frags and eight pulsing xenia frags to sell to the LFS. It looks pretty rough right now.
I am glad to hear you got rid of the little buggers! Keep your eyes peeled for more in case they laid eggs.
:joy:
i really hope the eggs ARE NOT a small round white doughnut laid on the stalk of my zoo polyps...cuz if it is...i have problems. its really frustrating. right when i finish my tank i get these nudibranchs! buh.
:mad:

teresaq

yup, those are egg. take the frag out, and just scrap the eggs off with your nail, and dip the frag in fresh water. make sure you shake it really good, in case there are more. The fresh water dip will not kill the eggs, you have to scrap them off.