@@@Hitchhikers on Live Rock! mantis shrimp? weird crabs? aiptasia? Need Help!! (long)

adam6883

Let me start by saying I purchased live rock approximately a week ago from a place in florida. The rock is incredible and is crawling with interesting animals and plants. At first I loved it but now that the water levels are becoming better more things are coming out of the rock and I don't know what they are? if they are bad? I need help.
Ok where to start? First, I already identified a tiger gobie which is really cool and I'm told wont cause any trouble. Everything else im not sure about. I guess I'll just start listing stuff and you guys can help. I really do appreciate. Thanks
1. (Shrimp/Lobster) This thing is nesstled under a piece of my rock but doesnt move much. It kinda stays stationary and swirles things over his head and has two large claws. The claws appear almost as large as the rest of his body. At first I assumed it was a mantis. But it is rather small (a little less than half an inch?) and red. The eyes dont bob out of the head but maybe hes jsut too small now for me too tell. I have two pistol shrimp that came in a package deal so I know what pistols look like and he just doesnt look like a pistol. He really does look liek a lobster with that defined tail and claws. There are also tiny white dots on his tail.
2. (Crab1) This thing just runs around with the four emerald crabs a I put in the tank but is redish instead and is slightly more shy around the light. He is also smaller than my emeralds and liks to be more into the rock than around it.
3. (Crab2) This crab I didnt notice till today as a small piece (dime-sized) of the live rock moved. Im assuming it is a crab after inspection as it appears to have claws but it is like covered with algae (i think?) and other things so it blends right in and isnt noticable untill it moves. It is just covered in greenish hair algae (i think?)
4. (Crabs3) This is not a specific crab but a few of them. They are rather small maybe like 1/3 the size of a dize. They just crawl around at night and are not visible during the day. they crawl all under rock and sometimes on the sand. They are brown colored and blend right into the sand.
5. (Aiptasia/glass anemones) I really dont understand what these are. First I thought I knew what they were as I had a couple of things that vaguely resembles feather dusters but had more brownish red tentactle like features. Now, when the lights go out I notice things that are clear, yet small with tentacles. These things APPEAR more common every night and are all over the tank and in the rock and on the exterrior of it as well. Its not too visible during the day but they are growing large in quantity. Is aiptasia and glass anemones the same thing? If not whats going on? Are these babies of the brown tentacle things? Are they different.
Well, thanks for reading all this. I really need help as I feel like I'm loosing control of the tank. As much help as I could get would be great. I'm sure i'll see new things each night but for now I kinda need a decent ID on what I mentioned above. Thanks
-adam :( :eek: :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused:

I really can't help much, but to commiserate with you. Getting the live rock that is available now, there are a million different kinds of critters that are making their way, albeit not voluntarily, into our systems. Some friendly, some not. Like the red eyed crab you mentioned, I have heard horror stories about THEM.
But I guess it just comes down to, what do you have in the tank now, and what is being aggravated by the new additions.
I agree tho, that the aiptasia probably should be removed, less you want an aiptasia species tank. :eek:
Sorry I couldn't help more, I have been a lucky one with my LR and have only gotten interesting but not harmful critters, if you don't count the mantis that is. :rolleyes:
Maybe someone else can chime in?
Hermit

playtime

(1) the red crab could be a color variance of the emeralds. Mine have been brown and even white during a molt. I would have to say that most crabs are harmless. I can tell you that without a picture, I am not much help.
do any of the other crabs have shells or no? If they do, what color are their leggs? If they are blue, then they are blue leggs and if they are red, they can be scarlet reef crabs.
It could be apstasia on the glass and rock. A picture again would be nice. If they are apstasia, you definately don't want them. They will repopulate and overrun your tank pretty quick. find a pic on the net and check it out.
I hope that I have helped a little.
Playtime

One to get rid of the aptasia the easiest way withoug harmful chemicals is I have heard Peppermint shrimp love the taste get a couple of them.
Your crab # 2 could possibly be a decorator crab. In order to hid themselves they "decorate" there expskeliton.
Sounds like you have an intersting set up.
What else do you have?
I am surprised the goby lived.
Adam

fender

Almost all shelless crabs (not hermits) are bad, they may be ok while they are little but when bigger will eat your fish, pick at corals, etc. Exceptions being the emeralds, some sally lightfoots (debatable), and anenome crabs -also called porcelen(sp).
Aiptasia can overrun your tank, a peppermint shrimp will eat them, and yes I have heard certain aiptasia species referred to as glass anenomes.
All lobsters are not reef safe with the purple lobster being an exception.
Without pics tho, IDs are hard.

@knight

you should be worried mostly with the apastia, IMO. it will take over your takn slowly, but surely. a peppermint shrimp will munch away at them, but wont touch the bigger ones. the best way to get rid of those is to get some kalkwasser mix and fill a syringe with it. poke the needle down to the center of it and inject away. that'l take care of the pesky little bugers and wont harm your tank in any way.
as for the critters, my advice is to watch them closely and pull them if hey show signs of causing trouble. it would suck to loose a $60 fish over a hitchiker crab. but you got awesome luck with the tiger gobie!