hitching a slow ride

iechy

How funny. I keep reading how everyone else has Xenia spread like crazy but my tank is where they come to die. I've tried three times(two pulsing one common) and they've all bit the dust. Everything else in my tank does great but Xenia are off my list for now.

kpogue

&#^^^$#!! it! same here. I just moved mine. It started out great, began to split then I found some crab digging at it and I just pulled a dam turbo off of it!

saltyrich

That is one of the darndest things I've ever seen! How cool. Well the Xenia will now be exposed to a variety of current and light conditions on his travels around the tank.

slothy

ya my xenias act like they are gonna split then they dont.. they just tend to get little arms on them now.. that is a funny pic though... snail is prob wondering why its so hard to move around nowadays
and are those all flatworms on the back of your tank ?

j21kickster

Well- xenia can move and form new colonies- the coral is being exposed to many areas of the tank, which can potentially be a good thing, that is one buff snail.:) that would be interseting if it stayed there for a while

rsd

Hey I like the idea that the coral is seeing lots of changing light/water/current conditions. May be I oughta try gluing a flowerpot to a snail's shell. We may finally have cracked that code! Flowerpot/goniopora may now be a viable aquarium trade species!!!!!
Now all I need is a really bug Turbo snail.....

iceburger

how did the xenia get attached to the snail?, was thinking that it would be pretty cool for mushrooms too......and those you can just press onto the snail.......just food for thought

nacl-h2o

I had a green stripe mushroom attach itself to a hermit one time. It's wasn't long before it released in poor health. I think he just spent to much time on the dark side.
I use to be able to keep xenia and it grew like weeds when I had a skimmer setup. When I switched to a refugium w/caulerpa and my NO3 and PO4 dropped to 0, it got to where it slowly dies now.
I know xenia requires more nutrients than other corals because it dosen't feed like most corals. Xenia don't eat(capture food and ingest it) they absorb nutrients from the water. I just don't think my tank has enough of them to keep it alive anymore and if your nutrients(NO3 and or PO4) are to low it may be your problem as well.