HLLE Question

drtash

Question on Hlle
I purchased a salfin tang from my LFS. Like a good person I put him into my 20 gal qt cycled. After a week of Quarantining him, he came down with ICH. Did the Hyposaline for about 3-4 weeks. During the resalinity phase I noticed that he hase some chucks missing from his fins. (I assume fin rot) Been putting Maracyn-2 for 6 days so far.
Tonight I noticed a new onset of HLLE.
What should I do? Since HLLE is not contagious, should I put him in my DT?
What about the 6 days of marycan -2 for fin rot?
So Confused!!!! I am finding out the Quaranting these fish make them more stressed!
DRTASH

beth

Administrator
Staff member
HLLE is not contagious. If this fish is ich free, then go ahead and move him to the display. Take a look at the info in the FAQ Thread on HLLE.

drtash

Beth
I have read your article numerous times. Very good reading I must add.
The main question now would be the "fin rot". How do I know its cured?
drtash

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So called fin rot is mostly caused by nutritional and environmental issues, and are not effectively treated with meds. The fact that the fish is coming down with HLLE supports that this fish's is being stressed environmentally, and perhaps even nutritionally. The "finrot" is just another symptom of this, in my view.
Getting the fish in to a better environment would seem the better course of action.

drtash

I just put him in my DT. I acclimated him for about 3 hours. As soon as I put him in the DT his colors came out. Swimming happily for now. Stay toon....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of tank did he go in to and what do your nitrates look like?

drtash

I put my Salfin tang into a 125gal tank. The last time i checked last week I had 0 nitrates and 0 ammonia . He is thriving well today. Swimming around with my naso tang and emperior angle.