Hmm.. which light should I buy?

bizzmoneyb

I need a new light for my new 90 gal 24" tall tank.
I can buy a used Coralife 48" 2 x 250W HQI Metal Halide Lamp w/ 2 x 96W CF Lamps and 4 x 1w LED for $500
or
A new 48" Nova Extreme Pro 6 x 54 watt T5HO - new around $350.
Should I pop the extra $150 for the metal halide unit? Im alittle nervous with the MH about excessive heat and electricity. What do you think?

wangotango

If it were just between the Nova Pro and that halide setup then I'd go with the halide setup. IMO the Pro doesn't have the juice for a deeper tank.
Heat shouldn't be too much of an issue if you use a few clamp-on fans on top of the tank or over your sump.
-Justin

rebelprettyboy

Out of the choices u listed id also go with the halide fixture.
I dont think the t5 6 bulb is gonna get the job done. Itd do fine with some softies and LPS, but not sps IMO. Maybe if u look into gettin the 8 bulb t5 fixture w indiv reflectors should be fine.

wangotango

Don't know how the prices compare with the halide fixture, but if you wanted to go T5ho my first choice would be the 7-bulb Aquactinics Constellation, and my second would be the 8-bulb TEK.
-Justin

aquaguy24

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2774470
Don't know how the prices compare with the halide fixture, but if you wanted to go T5ho my first choice would be the 7-bulb Aquactinics Constellation, and my second would be the 8-bulb TEK.
-Justin
both great fixtures, however they are about the same price as MH and does not come with bulbs installed..but u'll have a better option for mixing and matching bulbs tho..

sushi man

i think its all depend.. a lot of people and my self always go back to halide for the way the tank look. some thing about the glitter that the halide make.. but for save money i think t5ho is better , cause not use so much electric... once again, i think...