hmmmm what fish do you think i should get??????????

lucylion1098

So I have a empty 45 gallon tank sitting on the floor and i was like hmmm i want to start a saltwater tank i bought book with a load of good facts and stuff and gone to the library and read some books there but the only problem is what fish i should get :( help!
I know for a fact i want at least one ocellaris clownfish but i cant decide on what other fish to get and how many fish i can put in the tank without overcrowding it.

maeistero

just the clown for now. you'll probably be more interested in crabs and other inverts than fish.
t5? small version of your typical flourescent 4ft old school light. it's much better and more expensive. You don't necessarily need that for a fish only tank.

S

saxman

Considering your screen name, maybe you'd want to consider a fuzzy dwarf lion instead of a clownfish...it would do well in a 45, and isn't as common as a clownfish. Just a thought...
BTW, lionfish do super well under normal output (NO) fluorescents, so lighting would be inexpensive (since you mentioned lighting).

dustintx

First off,don't buy any fish until u are sure your tank has cycled!!!!!! I personnaly went to the lfs and stared at several ocellaris clownfish for like 30 minutes and then picked out 2. They are amazing and always playing and dancing. If u will be having atleast a 4 inch sand bed I would recommend a "Bali tiger jawfish". They are very cool and dig a cave in the sand with their mouths,its fun to watch them build a home. But like I said......wait until your tank has cycled and have all the tests on hand for your water. Also,when u go to your lfs,be sure to have them feed the fish in front of u and pick the ones who eat the most. They are the most healthy and more than likely wont have ich and even if they do they will be most likely to fight off the disease.

S

saxman

I wouldn't advise a SW/lionfish novice to keep a fu manchu...they're one of the hardest to wean, and they can be a tad cryptic, esp. at first.

lucylion1098

Oh and my cousin who is turning 13 want to start a saltwater tank do you recommend that she should or shouldnt... But of coarse she will have her dad help her

rickross23

Well of course she should! Amazing hobby that's worth it 100% if you research and do what it takes to succeed. Tell the #1 factor in success or not is patience.
Now onto the fish suggestions.... You have many options for a reef. Consider that coral is a stationary fish, so it needs to be fed and it releases wastes and requires good water chemistry, flow and most important, Lighting. Fishwise, I would start with a pair of clowns, since theyre hardy. Then you can add others. In my 120g reef, I have 7 fish...2clowns, 4 blue green chromis, 1 Kleins butterflyfish. I plan on adding a couple more small fish and that's it. The rest is going to be coral. You can have lots of small fish or few fish and more coral, one big fish, many options. I suggest a CUC first then Clownfish. They're plenty of fish in your 45 gallon tank you can get. Research fish you like that can be in your tank full time and tell us and we will tell you what we think.. find a fish you like and build the tankmates from there. Any questions ask me or the other great minds here at SWF.

flower

The best books I ever purchased...Pick your all time favorite fish, make sure it is the right size fish for your system, and build your stock list around it....don't be afriad to go hunting online for that perfect fish, the guarantee is worth it and the chance to get what you really want is better. Happy fishing!

Here is a page...the info is great

Don't forget...there is more than just fish in the ocean...

And a page from that book for you...