HOB diy fuge

crazy4reefs

I have a 20 gallon tall tank and due to space or lack of I can not add a large fuge so I was wondering. I have a 30 gallon size Whisper filter sitting around and I was thinking about putting it on my tank and the only thing I want to put in it is cheato. There will be pleanty of flow going through it and it will get light from my MH fixture because I plan on leaving the cover off. I will have to find another way to keep the cheato in the filter but what I want to know most of all is will it work and will it be big enough to make a difference? Also if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them, Thanks.

subielover

Sounds like it would work
Chaeto only needs decent flow and light, and you have both of them covered. I say go for it and post pics

crazy4reefs

Thanks, I am trying to figure out what to use to keep the cheato from flowing out and whatever it is that I use it also has to be able to let the light in. Also I am not sure how much to use, I was wondering if I use to much then the cheato at the bottom wont get enough light but at the same time I want to use enough to be useful. any other thoughts?

dogfaceman

Originally Posted by crazy4reefs
http:///forum/post/2734446
Thanks, I am trying to figure out what to use to keep the cheato from flowing out and whatever it is that I use it also has to be able to let the light in. Also I am not sure how much to use, I was wondering if I use to much then the cheato at the bottom wont get enough light but at the same time I want to use enough to be useful. any other thoughts?
put a rubber band around it and super glue the rubberband to the filter. do you understand what i mean?

crazy4reefs

I think so. that will keep it from flowing out of the filter but it will still get pleanty of flow around it. My only question is about the cheato that is bound tight in the middle, it wont die will it? Thanks for the help

dogfaceman

Originally Posted by crazy4reefs
http:///forum/post/2734489
I think so. that will keep it from flowing out of the filter but it will still get pleanty of flow around it. My only question is about the cheato that is bound tight in the middle, it wont die will it? Thanks for the help
it depends, how big is the ball, a softball sized bunch will probably be ok but something like twice that size will have trouble getting light

subielover

Another thought too is, for my fuge I have a 10 watt submersible light kinda stuffed down into the wad of chaeto. I tried some other things for my fuge as far as lighting but this seems to work the best. Let me know if you need the site I got the light from. Good luck.

crazy4reefs

wow I didnt know there was any such thing as a submersible light! If you dont mind could you pm me and let me know where you got it, Thanks.