HOB filter and phosphate remover

jthomas0385

I'm thinking about buying a HOB filter, like a penguin bio-wheel, and filling media bags with phosphate remover, and nitrate remover. The only purpose would be to improve water quality, but my question is, would this work okay?

socal57che

While I wil agree that removing these substances is desirable, they will return when you remove the media unless you correct the cause. It's like buying kleenex for a runny nose. The kleenex will deal with the post nasal drip, but will not stop it.
Can't you add them to your existing filtration?

scottallert

yes it will work, but dont get penguin i have 3 and they all suck!!
they are loud as can be and turn off for no reason..

jthomas0385

I dont know if I can or not. I have a wet/dry canister filter, and the instructions said to only add the kind of media it came with. I don't have a phosphate or nitrate problem, I'm just thinking as a preventative measure. It would make me feel better for some weird reason.

socal57che

Eheim wet/dry caister filters allow for chemical and absorptive media use in the models I've seen. What wet/dry canister do you have?

lil.guppy

I currently use my penguin for polishing the water with Flu val water polishing pads after I clean or move stuff around the tank. That stuff works wonders. I just put it behind the blue filter media. I took the wheel out though.
When I am not needing to polish the water I put a bag of purigen back there.
Just remember that if you do that, its going to change the flow of the water and you will have to keep an eye on it. they usually come with the overflow emergency spot, but if it doesnt I would not risk it. You will end up with water all over your floor and a half empty tank.

naclfish

use the marineland HOT magnum holds a lot of media and you have the option to use the direction of the output for you tank flow patterns.

jthomas0385

I have the Eheim wet/dry, but it said to only use the media it came with. I had a really bad hair algae problem in my 55 gallon, so I guess it's safe to say I'm a little paranoid of it happening again in my 75 gallon, even though I do water changes every week of 8 gallons, and use RO water.

socal57che

Originally Posted by JThomas0385
http:///forum/post/2946277
I have the Eheim wet/dry, but it said to only use the media it came with. I had a really bad hair algae problem in my 55 gallon, so I guess it's safe to say I'm a little paranoid of it happening again in my 75 gallon, even though I do water changes every week of 8 gallons, and use RO water.
I did some checking and one site said it was compatible with absorption media, but other references said eheim media only. I would call eheim and get their word on it, but I don't see why you couldn't use it.