HOB necessary??

mujtba

ok my cycle just completed!! i got 3 questions below.
I got nemo and 5 turbo snails to eat the diatoms algae.
#1. does cleaner shrimp eat diatom brown algae???
#2. question is of tanks overheating to 84deg...
I have this in the tank:
-90lbs LR
-80lbs sand
-Two 300GPH PHs
-300GPH HOB FIlter
-Skimmer PH (MP 1200 Maxi-Jet Power Head) which I THINK is 295GPH
-300W heater
So with these 4 pumps on, my tank gets up to 84deg. My heater is almost off. I have NO walmart lights. I dont want my tank to hit 100deg when I get new lights.
so anyway, does anyone use a HOB filter or should I just return it? do you think the HOB contributes to the heating problem? do I need a HOB with saltwater tank? would the skimmer and 2 PHs be circulation enuf? is a HOB needed to remove tiny particles from the water?
#3. Also I hear people buying chillers. So do they not use heaters anymore?

entice59

i used to put a bag of ice in the hang on back filter to lower the temp, make sure the water doesnt get out of the bag. You can put stuff like carbon and phosban in the filter. I recommend the carbon if your just started the tank, run it for a few days and dump it.
I wouldnt get any corals until you can control your tank.
like Bot587 said, cleaners dont eat algae, but snails should i dont exactly which type of snail you need but its normal to have diatom algae growning in a new tank.
Feel free to ask any other questions, no question is stupid

msd2

Originally posted by mujtba
ok my cycle just completed!! i got 3 questions below.
I got nemo and 5 turbo snails to eat the diatoms algae.
#1. does cleaner shrimp eat diatom brown algae???
#2. question is of tanks overheating to 84deg...
I have this in the tank:
-90lbs LR
-80lbs sand
-Two 300GPH PHs
-300GPH HOB FIlter
-Skimmer PH (MP 1200 Maxi-Jet Power Head) which I THINK is 295GPH
-300W heater
So with these 4 pumps on, my tank gets up to 84deg. My heater is almost off. I have NO walmart lights. I dont want my tank to hit 100deg when I get new lights.
so anyway, does anyone use a HOB filter or should I just return it? do you think the HOB contributes to the heating problem? do I need a HOB with saltwater tank? would the skimmer and 2 PHs be circulation enuf? is a HOB needed to remove tiny particles from the water?
#3. Also I hear people buying chillers. So do they not use heaters anymore?

Well I will give my 2cents worth on a few of these.
84 is an okay temp, just keep it up there 24/7. Its a bit warmer than I prefer but I have read ppl keeping as high as 86.
I used to run a chiller for the tank, if your anal about it u get a controller that will run the chiller or heater as needed. Reason being if one malfunctions you dont have them at odds with each other in the tank.
not sure what ur talking about with walmart lights...
All your ph contribute heat to the tank so they could be part of the heat issue if u feel its too hot.
I dont think you have enough circ if ur doing a reef. You want btwn 15-25 times water turnover rate. The higher the better if u ask me. I have had much less issues with algae and water quaility since I started running 24x turnover.
Can't comment on the hob, never used one.