HOB Skimmer question??

I got my Octopus HOB skimmer in finally and put it on last night. It is putting out quite a few micro bubbles but from what I've read that hopefully should subside.
This is a dual pump, dual chamber setup, so there are two collection cups. My question is, should the bottom of the collection cup be touching the water level in the chamber? Sorry, this freaking thing came with zero directions and the website in china does not have any literature whatsoever. I would assume that once it produces enough bubbles that they would eventually rise up through and into the collection cup but was on all through the night and still hasn't. I have a nice little frothy layer an 1/8 of an inch below the bottom of the cups. I could easily untighten the cups and push them down a bit if need be. I dont have a clue, any advice greatly appreciated.

fraggle_a

Well, just because there is no collecting going on I wouldnt flip out.
When else do you have filtering?.
They wont collect if there is nothing to collect.

Also running an Emporer 400. I will give it some time and your probably right that there is nothing to collect since there are no fish in there. I am starting to get brown colored algae over all of my LR. Will the skimmer help with that? Do you think this is diatom?

ibew41

if the tank is only about a few months old then you may have diatoms and they will go away on there own

aztec reef

Originally Posted by solarbearusa
http:///forum/post/2720821
This is a dual pump, dual chamber setup, so there are two collection cups. My question is, should the bottom of the collection cup be touching the water level in the chamber?
Yes, they should be touching, Actually the neck of collecting cups should be 1/8-1/4 of an inch under water of skimmer's chamber..However, this Only enables u to control the skimmate's thickness, the more u raise the cups the dryer the skimmate would be, and visa versa..