Hobbyist Opinions and Suggestions

twistedenvy

Hi! My name is Nikki and I have been a hobbyist for 2-3 months now. I bought my tank pre-established off of CL.
I have a GLO double fixture with T5's. I'm looking for a new light with at least 4 T5's; know any places selling good lights for good prices?
I have a 55 Gallon tank with a Rena filter (that is meant for a 30 gallon!), and a protein skimmer. I got Instant Ocean salt with the tank, but am switching to Reef Crystals for my new corals. I have a lot of fish, some of whom I have added, and some of whom I am looking to find new homes for. Here is the rundown:
1 Yello Tang
1 Brown tang with dots on his face and lines down his body
1 Blue Hippo "Doy" Tang
1 Mandarin Dragonet
1 Camelion (?) Dragonet
1 Damsel
1 Liar Clownfish (False Perc.)
1 Clarkii
1 Condy Anemone
1 Bubble Tip Anemone
1 Long-Spined Urchin
1 CC Star
1 Sandsifting Star that I haven't seen since I put him in the tank.
3 Snails (Big) and 2 very small snails.
1 Large red leg hermit
1 Crab that I just discovered yesterday (hermit)
1 Sally Light foot? Crab
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates between 0 and 5
What other test kits should I have???

I want to get a new filter, but not sure if I want the overflow or what? I don't know much about the sump pumps and how they are set up. I know it is like going through channels, right?
I am looking to give my tank an overhaul, and make it the it can be within my budget (don't know what that is but I'm not rich :)).
Any and all suggestions appreciated

gypsana

Wow first of all you are going to have to get rid of those tangs. Tangs need bigger tanks. You Mandarin may starve to death if you do not seed your tank with pods and I do not know what a Camelion Dragonet is. Tek T5's are great lights and money always disappears in this hobby. Do you have any pictures of your set up?

gypsana

Oh yea do you know how long the tank was set up before you purchased it? As for test kits, what are your nitrites and how are you checking your salinity?

jennln

Agree with above and wanted to add that if by CC star you mean chocolate chip, then the new corals you mentioned won't be around long. You need to find him a new home because he is definitley not reef safe.

twistedenvy

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/3041727
Wow first of all you are going to have to get rid of those tangs. Tangs need bigger tanks. You Mandarin may starve to death if you do not seed your tank with pods and I do not know what a Camelion Dragonet is. Tek T5's are great lights and money always disappears in this hobby. Do you have any pictures of your set up?
Well, I am not going to rid myself of all my tangs. They came with the set up and the guy had the set up for over a year. Once they start getting bigger, I plan to upgrade to a 125 tank (am starting to accumulate supplies). I am however finding a new home for my blue hippo and she stays to herself and I am sure she would do better in a larger tank now. The other two follow each other around the tank, and although they have similar body styles tend to like each other and only bat tails once in a great while (that's hostile not flirty right?) I never see them nipping at the other.
My Mandarin is getting the food he needs. I have a hang on refug that I am setting up and until that is running smoothly I am seeding with tiggerpods. :)Tek? I will have to look them up. I will get pics up on here soon, but I am at work right now.
I check my salinity with a hydrometer, but I heard there is something better to do this with?
CC Star IS a chocolate chip and I am looking for a new home for him. He stays moves everywhere, but has not gotten my corals. ....yet

gypsana

Originally Posted by TwistedEnvy
http:///forum/post/3041736
Well, I am not going to rid myself of all my tangs. They came with the set up and the guy had the set up for over a year. Once they start getting bigger, I plan to upgrade to a 125 tank (am starting to accumulate supplies). I am however finding a new home for my blue hippo and she stays to herself and I am sure she would do better in a larger tank now. The other two follow each other around the tank, and although they have similar body styles tend to like each other and only bat tails once in a great while (that's hostile not flirty right?) I never see them nipping at the other.
My Mandarin is getting the food he needs. I have a hang on refug that I am setting up and until that is running smoothly I am seeding with tiggerpods. :)Tek? I will have to look them up. I will get pics up on here soon, but I am at work right now.
I would wait to buy the lights for your 125 gal. They are one of the priciest things you get for a tank, not including the tank itself. When do plan to upgrade?

twistedenvy

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/3041749
I would wait to buy the lights for your 125 gal. They are one of the priciest things you get for a tank, not including the tank itself. When do plan to upgrade?
Probably within 6 months, but I want to do it the right way so I need to ave everything needed for the tank by then. :)

gypsana

Are you planning to do a sump/refug? A second note on the Tek T5's. I have had them for almost two years,a three ft 6bulb for my old tank and now a 4' 8 bulb for my 90+ gal. They are everything and more IMO. Go through Reefgeek for the best customer service if you plan to go that route.

twistedenvy

Yes, I am planning a sump/refug, but I have no idea where to start with it. What stages do I go through? How do I set it up? I know I need a 10 gallon tank underneath my DT and that I need panes of glass to place in there to make the water go through channels...I think. Am I right? Something about drilling holes? I don't want to drill a hole in my DT, so I how I get the water out and then back in?
Pictures are going to be in a Picture post, look for it :)

djcanis

You dont have to drill into the tank. Your gonna need an overflow box, that will supply the sump. A return pump in the sump will feed water back into the DT.
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
This is a great place to get started and get some ideas, I am currently building my first sump for a 90gal reef. Its a bit of a pain but well worth it.

oceansidefish

You will also have to choose between the Clarki and the O.Clown they will eventually kill each other. Also I would get rid of one nem...That tank is a war waiting to happen right now.

twistedenvy

I'd rather have my O clown anyday. It used to be that the clarkii and the O clown got along perfect. Ever since I got the bubble tip, the clarkii claimed it right away, and ever since the clarkii defends it like a pro against the O clown

oceansidefish

Originally Posted by TwistedEnvy
http:///forum/post/3041736
I check my salinity with a hydrometer, but I heard there is something better to do this with?
CC Star IS a chocolate chip and I am looking for a new home for him. He stays moves everywhere, but has not gotten my corals. ....yet

If those tangs are over a year old then they already will be needing a bigger tank... IMO the only tang you could keep in there much longer would be a KOLE or other smaller rockwork tang... They will only continue to have problems such as aggressiveness, and you will likely also start to experience water quality issues with 2 messy eaters like that. You will need a refractometer to test salinity as well as a reef master test kit.

twistedenvy

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/3042418
If those tangs are over a year old then they already will be needing a bigger tank... IMO the only tang you could keep in there much longer would be a KOLE or other smaller rockwork tang... They will only continue to have problems such as aggressiveness, and you will likely also start to experience water quality issues with 2 messy eaters like that. You will need a refractometer to test salinity as well as a reef master test kit.
Thank you for you opinions! I couldn't remember what the refractometer was called!
As for the tangs, I am keeping my 2. My blue hippo is getting a new home, however, I am attached to my yellow and brown tangs. Can you look at the pictures in the photography section and tell me if they really are too big? If so, I will probably try to go larger sooner.

mie

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/288154/diy-overflow-check-it-out
This is better and waaaay cheaper than overflow box with u-tubes.