Holy Crap what did I do?!

mike22cha

Well Jared's (Lil Tankers) dad said he'd buy the tank 150$ max. I couldn't do that because that's what the stand itself cost+shipping. So I don't know if he got ticked off anyways they're off to the lfs to get a tnak. I kept on telling him fish stores are a place to buy fish, not advice. But he's trusting his dad(who has 0 expiernce) over me. So he probably is going to go get screwed by a lfs. I never felt so bad in my life. I was trying to make his hobby expierence an enjoyable one, but I know for sure that his tank is not going to be easy and he'll probably give up. I feel so sad and bad right now, not that I lost a chance to make money, bought I'm kinda afraid of losing a long time friend.

S

smartorl

Sometimes, people who aren't aware of the true costs of the hobby will think we are out of our minds because they can certainly find things cheaper, until they see for themselves.
A friend wanted to buy my smaller reef tank. It was complete, nothing to add, and I gave him a great deal on it, a mere fraction of what my costs were. He freaked out and the next day I found out that he went to Walmart and bought their 55 gallon set up for about $100 and thought that he was the smartest man alive. Now he admits that he has spent nearly three times what I was asking for my tank and still doesn't have anywhere close to a proper set up.
If your intentions are good, you can put advice and input out there but can't make people take it. Hopefully, all works out for them and you but it can be disasterous for a newbie to trust a lfs's advice depending on the store.

mike22cha

I went there to buy some snails, and there bio cube is gone. I hope he learns from his mistakes and listends to our advice.

mike22cha

I began thinking, maybe a bio cube or something like that would be the best idea for Lil Tanker so he doesn't have to worry about getting everything and trying to find the best deals, etc. How does this Oceanic BioCube 29g sound?
"The new Oceanic BioCube has all the necessary components built-in. Spend your time setting up your ideal environment, then plug it in and enjoy the results. It’s that simple! The BioCube features unique, high-quality components including Coralife lighting and can be used for salt water or freshwater setups. Includes replaceable two-stage filtration cartridge. • Uses mechanical and chemical filtration • Poly-Woven pre-filter to trap free-floating materials and waste • Activated carbon inside to remove odors and discoloration • One size filter fits all three sizes of BioCubes • 2-pack replacement filters are available Also Includes • Integrated wet/dry biological filtration • 1 – Coralife 10,000K 36Watt Compact Fluorescent lamps • 1 – Coralife Actinic 36Watt Compact Fluorescent lamps • 3 – ¾ Watt Lunar Blue, Moon Glow LED lights • Dual filter intakes—one to skim the surface and one on the bottom • Viewing window for filtration water pump • Remote ballasts with quick disconnects • Curved glass front corners • Sealed light lens cover • UL listed 316 GPH submersible pump with adjustable discharge nozzle"

mike22cha

That tank is 275$ and the stand is 125$ plus 15$ shipping. I figured that would be his best bet?

R

reefernana

I have the 29g biocube and I really love it! I would highly recommend it! I would get rid of the bioballs though and replace them with some kind of filtering media, e.g., Seachem Matrix, Seachem Purigen and some filter floss, like mine, or some people put in live rubble rock and keep a little chaeto in there after putting a little light on the outside glass after scraping off paint. Then you don't need that filtering cartridge either. I float a bag of Seachem Carbon in the first chamber, too. Either way is a much better filtering system and doesn't cost much to do.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
What about the lighting also? Since it's PC's then no sps or lps or corals?
Softies and LPS are fine, and I have several and they're doing great. Just not quite strong enough for SPS though. Eventually though I'm going to upgrade probably to the SunPod 150MH. It's only around $200.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by lil' tanker
I want to buy your tank but my dad says you have to get the price down to 200 bucks sorry
Gosh Jared, I mean I started at 350$. Sounds like your dad is just trying to save a buck. I mean, the only way I'm going to do that is if you pay me later in frags or something. I got to think about it.

butters

let them go buy the tank for $600 new. who cares, its their money.
find someone else who knows what a deal is.
put it on craigslist and sell it for what its worth, dont

[hr]
yourself.... well unless you got more money than you know what to do with.

colourmop

I'd not save money on tank... it is the single most important thing other than light :p
you may want a stronger light for the biocube, that 36W PC could handle mushrooms and zoas, LPS such as candycanes or hammer coral can survive in that light, but may not have a fast growth. cant have SPS/clams or anemone with that light.
also a skimmer would be nice if you want to stock it heavily.

butters

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Ya I need the money. But this is my close friend so it's hard.

its not going to kill him if you dont sell it to him, why you should you lose out on $200 because his dad doesnt wanna pay that much.
id tell him to go pound salt. he should understand if he is a real friend.
im guessin your young huh?

earlybird

Don't budge on that price I think it's fair. Should never let business come between friendship. If you need the money go sell plasma.

digitydash

I would sell it to someone else.If a fish tank gets in between your friendship you where not that close to begin with.

mike22cha

Ok ya. I was hoping to get a friend into salt, I hope he still does. Anyways I think I'm just going to keep the tank, unless his dad is willing to pay 300$. If not then that Oceanic BioCube 29g sounds like a great starter tank for him. But I think I'm going to make my 125g a FOWLR and move the corals into the 20g.